New article on mixing drums

Shailat

Finshed an article on mixing drums and a bit more
info on bass and drums working together.

It has 14 samples of audio with it for you to hear.

Warm thanks to Ed who out did himself in giving me a helping hand although he is extremly busy these hectic
days.

I hope you all benfit from it.

http://www.geocities.com/shailat2000/index.html

(goto mixing the drum kit)

Shailat,

i couldnt get the audio examples, dont know if it was my end or yours.....

Article was killer...One day Ill have a nice enough room to record real drums and throw away my Fruity Loops....

Thanks....

I checked it out again and It works on my end.
Try again later. If you have more problems I'll somehow get them to you.

golly,

this was a freaking good article. I could not read it for about 10 minutes because I was busy reading your article on reverb.

That idea about panning the bass and then delaying was what I have been looking for lately.

I could not download the files though.

thanks.

I seem to be able to download them myself with out a problem.

If it's a problem for more then you both, I'll have to check it out.

Check it out again later and tell me if you managed.

I just tried them now, I could get all 14. But, some of them would time out. Hit stop, and click it again. Geocities ain't the most stable storage unfortunately.

Great article Shailat!

"The article looks amazing", he said with eyes bulging and drool running down the chin.Am printing the articles now, need something to do at work.Can't wait to read.

I think Geo was unstable last night a bit for me as well.

Most of the samples are 450-900 kb so even
with a timeout you should try again.

rthjwrjf0p

You DO plan on leaving that web site up for awhile, right? I'm gonna read at work where I have an OC-3 connection, and I'm on vacation this week, so I wont be there.
Thanks for being so cool! :)

Shailat

Speaking of my vacation... what State are you in? Been trying to see if anyone is tracking this week thats pretty close by that I could drop in on.
Peace,
Paul

Re: Shailat

tubedude said:
Speaking of my vacation... what State are you in? Been trying to see if anyone is tracking this week thats pretty close by that I could drop in on.
Peace,
Paul

All you need is about $800 and a taxi to fly to Jerusalem. But your invited :).

You DO plan on leaving that web site up for awhile, right?

It's up all the time.

Just one question, Shailat...
What kind of room did you record the samples in and what mics did you use? They sound pretty darn nice.

Isaiah

Prism said:
Just one question, Shailat...
What kind of room did you record the samples in and what mics did you use? They sound pretty darn nice.

Isaiah

The recording was done about a year ago in a studio and I can't recall exactly what mics I used as I was in a studio and used their mics available at the time.
I'm almost sure I used two 414's as overheads and an SM57 on the snare.
I should be doing this month another drum recording in that same studio so I'll try to take a photo of the mic placment on the kit.

The room is one of the better drum rooms I have heard.
Well treated acousticly.

I want to point out that the articles intention is to give
people a chance to hear it and not just to see it in print.
As print is a bit useless in audio.

I really believe that if somebody hears the samples over and over and tries to apply even a drop of what he heard after understanding the concept of Why
the changes are made, will improve his drum sound if only by a bit as well.
Some of the techniques can be applied to drum samples and drum machines as well.

Thanks for the reply... One more question:
What would be a good mic for the kick? I've heard a lot on how to mic the kick, but not exactly a preferable mic. I suppose you could use just about anything you wanted, as long as you liked the sound, eh?

Isaiah

O son of man

I can't type the expletives,

but the article when actually hearing the sound examples is unreal.

really unreal.

I think I preferred the unifixed bass to the fixed one though. I am listening on headphones. I need to burn this to cd and take it home.

thanks again.

btw,

I could only listen to the samples using netscape navigator. For some reason, explorer just would not work.

peace

Never thought Id say this but THANK YOU NETSCAPE....thanks for the tip, CJ....

Shailat, DAAAAAAAYYYYYUUUMMMMMM.....
Great work....My ears like this....Hearing what you are doing makes the article 50X more effective....Thanks...

Prism, Ive seen kicks mic'ed lots of ways from Radio Shack mics to sm57's....but the mic I hear most preferred is the AKG D112....

Back