New appartement, one wall needs to be soundproofed, little space to do so

Soulgolem

New apartment, one wall needs to be soundproofed, little space to do so

Hello all ! I'm new to the world of soundproofing, I spent a lot of days on forum research before posting here and now I just need to cover specifics.

Here is a drawing of what the apartment I just moved in looks like, I chose this one in particular because of many reasons, but the most important one being that I intend to make music (jams, record music, mixing projects) and the room that will serve this purpose in not adjacent to any neighbors, downstairs being a business closed on evenings and the outside world + other apartment rooms on other sides.

The living room and kitchen are one big room only separated by a little corner.

Appartment-1.jpg

I also intend to throw the occasional party in the living room and enjoy movies with considerate volume and don't want to disturb the neighbors at night so I will be covering the music room and living room with acoustic panels to attenuate echos and unwanted reverberation, I'm hoping this will help reduce volume in the apartment.

After reading a lot about soundproofing, I realize this will not be enough so I'm considering soundproofing the living room wall (Wall (A)) that is adjacent to the neighbor's master bedroom. The windows in the living room extend all the way from one wall to the other, so I only have about 3/4 of an inch that I can use to add mass to the wall before getting onto the windows' frames. I also cannot open the wall and place mineral wool or fiberglass in between the wall studs so I'm hoping there's already something there to help with that.

Considering all this, here is what I thought of doing to help with the situation :

1 - Get green glue and add another layer of drywall on top of the existing one
2 - Since I won't have space left to add any other layer of mass because of the window frames, I thought of covering the entire wall surface with 2" Roxul Rockboard 40 mineral wool and just covering the whole thing with a big blanket, would that help at all ? if so how much worth ?

Since I'm mostly concerned with low frequencies, I know rockboard 60 or 80 would be more appropriate, but it is much more expensive, I could go for it if it'd really make the difference but I'm just not sure with the whole concept of a wall of mineral wool, it's the only extra thing I can think of anyway because of the window frames limitation.

3 - maybe a layer of exposed thin mass loaded vinyl in between the roxul and the new drywall ? (it's getting really costly now).

In summary it'd go like this : sound -> layer of rockboard -> new drywall -> green glue -> old drywall -> whatever's inside with the studs -> neighbor's drywall -> neighbor's bedroom.

I would really appreciate any knowledge and opinions on my project, so please let me know all your thoughts.
Thank you so much.
Francis.

Attachments

• Appartment.jpg
    Appartment.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
dont know why people are avoiding this thread... looks like 50 views and no responces so far... i cant relly offer anythin extra except to do the rest of that adjacent wall... the roxul wont help the transmission but should help with the reflections inside... haveung to come up with a solution for covering the roxul seems a bich... not sure what ya can do there other than make a few finished panels and spread them around rather than simply covering that wall...

5/8 drywall and green glue will probly work best with the .75 inches you have to work with. Quietrock may give better results, but its' expensive and each sheet is about 160 pounds. It's a small area so take your time and seal all the cracks & seams with acoustic calking & tape. When thats finished, you can make some more eye appealing acoustic panels, since you'll want it to look decent. You will still get some vibrations travelling through the floor & ceiling if you're heavy on the bass frequencies.
Just invite your neighbors to the party,,

Back