New and need help with recording church worship

hockeypoor

Hello everyone I have been looking around this site for a few weeks and guess it's time to jump in and ask some questions.

I have been asked to start the planing of recording our churches worship and sermon and then someday moving to video. I will tell you guys what I have and think I want then you can tell me what I really need.

At current we have a mackie 1604 vlz with 2 guitars, 5 mics and a keyboard hooked up for house sound.
I have no problem recording the sermon right to laptop because it is a single track.
I want to get something like the Tascam, Korg, Yamaha or something that I can split before the mackie and then mix and pop out a cd!
Is this the right way to go? We are small but growing and ppl keep asking us for a worship cd. We don't have tons of money but we also want to look long term and maybe get something that will work with video down the road.
Thank you

You would be better off getting a recording interface for the computer and downloading Reaper for recording and mixing. You could take direct feeds from the insert jacks on the board.

You could get away with an 8 channel interface if you run the keys in mono.

There also might be ways to mix a couple of those mics onto the same track to keep it under 8 channels.

You will still have to mix down and make CD's, but you could easily do this by the next Sunday.

Can you give some examples of this hook up? Like what equip. Can this be done with a standard windows based laptop or would I need a MAC PRO?
We will be getting a Mac Pro in about 6 months when we go into video.

I'm curious, it sounds like all of your instruments and vocals are running over the same system....?
If this is true, are you getting a pretty good sound mix (for a live recording mix) ...if so then why not simply pull the entire feed right from the Mackie right into your laptop (if all instruments and micks are already handled by the mackie)........

However, it sounds like you may be considering a seperate interface for recording only (since house adjustments may not work well for recorded sound).

If you want an inexpensive option, you might consider getting something like a behringer UB1202/Xenith 1202FX (small footprint 12 channel mixer approx. $79) as your recording mixer, then pull feeds directly from each of your instrument amps, although, you will need to pull the vocals directly from the PA (without the instruments) so you can have total control over vocal / instrument balance. This is a low cost first step, but should accomplish your goal until you are ready to step into a more expensive arena)

simple layout....................

Instruments Instruments instrument instrument Instrument Vocal
Amp Amp Amp Amp Amp Amp
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
========================================================
[ o o Behringer Mixer o o o ]
[ UB 1202 Mixer ]
=========================================================
| | (2 trk out / stereo)
| |
=================
| |
| PC / notebook |
| w/ CD burner |
=================

I hope this suggestion provides some food for thought.............

Oppss, sorry about the formatting on the diagram, I forgot about the spaces that get blead off)......hope the suggestion is helpful anyway............

that sounds good I will check it. I do have a few things add. We dont have any onstage amps. We have acustic guitars that plug right into the mackie. Also cant i just split(y) all the inputs to the mackie and go into the other mixer?

Here it is again.......simple layout....................

Instrument---Instrument---instrument---instrument---Instrument---Vocal
--Amp-----------Amp----------Amp--------Amp--------Amp-------Amp
----|-------------|-------------|------------|----------|----------|
[--o------------- o-------Behringer Mixer---o----------o----------o----]
[---------------------------UB 1202 Mixer------------------------------]
---------------------------------|--|--(2 trk out/stereo)-----------------
---------------------------------|--|------------------------------------
-----------------------=================-----------------------------
-----------------------|----PC / notebook---|-----------------------------
-----------------------|-----w/ CD burner---|-----------------------------
-----------------------================= -----------------------------

Last edited:
How's the sound system sound in the sanctuary? I've done worship services with a stereo pair in front of the band and a direct feed from the pastor. Came out great. It's a lot quicker and easier to mix three tracks instead of 8 or more. If the room and live mix are good - no reason to reinvent the wheel.

Likewise for the music, you can take a stereo pair in the house AND a direct feed from the board. Mix to taste.

Keep in mind, taking ONLY a direct feed from the pastor may result in an overly-dry and un-natural voice recording. A stereo pair recording the actual reverb is nicer than adding fake reverb.

Here it is again.......simple layout....................

Instrument---Instrument---instrument---instrument---Instrument---Vocal
--Amp-----------Amp----------Amp--------Amp--------Amp-------Amp
[--o------------- o-------Behringer Mixer---o----------o----------o----]
[---------------------------UB 1202 Mixer------------------------------]
---------------------------------|--|--(2 trk out/stereo)-----------------
---------------------------------|--|------------------------------------
-----------------------=================-----------------------------
-----------------------|----PC / notebook---|-----------------------------
-----------------------|-----w/ CD burner---|-----------------------------
-----------------------================= -----------------------------

Let me guess...bass, keys...and like three guitars?

No one needs three guitars.

Just sayin' :):D

we have 2 acustic guitars, 3 singers, 1 keyboard, 1 mic on tamborine and 1 wireless for pastor.

I looked at the Behringer XENYX 1222FX and think that would work great.

I have looked at a stereo mic setup in front as that would also work great for us later when we add video.
Our church is small 100 ppl max. Old traditional buliding. big beams, high vaulted ceilings.

I tired recording the sermon this weekend and picked up a ton of what sounds like radio interference. I came off the tape out rca's on my mackie into the mic into on the laptop.
Not really able to do any mixing but right now I just want the sermon.
I am thinking about coming off the mackie into a Tascan us1641. Mackie will give me great House sound and then Tascam will allow my to mix then send to website. What do you think of this?

Let me guess...bass, keys...and like three guitars?

No one needs three guitars.

Just sayin' :):D

Doesn't matter what combination of instruments (Keys, bass, guitar, digital drums, organ, digital piano, etc) you apply to this configuration, its a simply layout to assist Hockeypoor with his quest.......

1. In reference to splitting your inputs (between the instrument and the mackie), Since all instruments are direct to the Mackie, yes this would be the approach to take.

2. In reference to my Behringer suggestion, this was simply a low-end economical approah (along with splitting your inputs) to provide a means for your to further taylor your mix for recording. Although, all mixing is realtime and the end result would be a stereo feed to your PC (only cost involved is mixer & cables).

3. In reference to your Tascam US1641, this is definitely a more higher end approach (cost and time). This approach is the equivalent of a Home Studio. It would give you the ability to actually mix/master your recordings (realtime and after the fact). Since this approach would give you discrete contraol over each individual track/input source, it may require a little more time investment (to learn the recording app, to mix/master final mixdown, etc), howver, may provide a more profession end result. You will need to ensure that your PC has suffecient resources to handle the unit (Disk-space, memory, processor speed). Additionally, you may want to check the requirement of the Tascam unit to ensure that your PC platform meets the minimum requirements. Hope this helps.....

Back