New acoustic song...

jamesduysen

Hey guys,

Haven't really posted for a while. Anyway I just got set up in a new studio and started working on a solo project.

Here is a song called forget. It's just a rough draft at the moment. A lot of work to do, I know. That being said; take a listen and tell me what you think of the song, mix (so far) or whatever.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/56188851a53b56db/

Thanks in advance!

-jD

Hey you said it was acoustic. I hear a bass and an electric guitar.

I like it, the song has a good feel, and your singing is quite good.

Crits: The intro melody sounds "unconfident," like you or the guitarist was not so sure if they liked it or not. I would say "commit" more to that melody, or add a little to that melody so it sounds more solid, and really "attack" it on the guitar, like it were a vocal line.

And the chords used for the section "and she's forgetting about the past tonight...." They are too "close" together, I mean the chords are fine. But it sounds like you are tuned down a half step. And you are playing the progression: F#, E. Okay, but they are right next to each other on the neck and in sound. So choose another E: Play E at the 7th fret with the A shape or the C shape. So try x7999x or x7645x.

Obviously the solo is beta.

Thanks a lot for the feedback!

I meant for this to be an acoustic song, but you know how it goes. I got a little carried away.

The song is tuned down a half step, I did have a guitar playing the octaves for the F# to E but the guitar i had on hand needs to be fine tuned. I am redoing that today :).

I like my songs raw and bizarre, that's the solo right there :P.

There is no eq or compression anywhere yet so any mud or junk you hear will be gone in the next mix!

Thanks again!

-jD

Listening now...

Great framework so far! Real catchy! :)

Can't wait to hear it after drums are added... (There will be drums, right?) :eek:

:p

to me, it sounds like you need to pull the guitar back and let the vox carry the song... They're getting a bit buried in this mix...

Like the song!

Thanks Bent!

I have been debating whether to add drums. I am doing all this work solo and am not an especially strong drummer. If I do add drums they will be minimal.

Again, sorry about the mix, I have not really done any compression or eq. :rolleyes:

Thanks again!

-jD

Thanks Bent!

I have been debating whether to add drums. I am doing all this work solo and am not an especially strong drummer. If I do add drums they will be minimal.

-jD

this song deserves drums. it's up beat and drums will make that more apparent. i think it sounds pretty good. but i would definitely add some drums.

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys!

Been trying to decide whether to add drums. I have 6 more songs to track so I'll worry about it later!

You've got some good melodies and progressions happening here. You could leave the first verse drumless and then bring them crashing in at 1.04 with the full production. Or not. The song works as it is. Nice job

Back