New acoustic piece to share

danny83

So I had a good philosophical conversation the other day with my brother-in-law and felt quite inspired. This is the piece that came of it.

At the end of the day, i'd just like to be the best musician I can be. So, if you liked it, hated it, or have constructive suggestions to improve the song or the mix I'd appreciate it if you guys and gals would let me know! :)

I really dont show my songs to anyone except for two forums and my cat, so any little piece of advice you guys can give will go a long way.

Thanks in advance!

'on my own'
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=624183

Last edited:
Link's broken, guess it didn't get posted right or something.

Lookin' forward to hearing it though. If I remember correctly, I remember a couple of your songs from awhile ago (Santeria cover, and another one).

Unless I'm thinking of another Danny. :p

Guitar sounds good. Vocals sound "good". Very nice, clean recording and performance.

Good song.

But nothing I haven't heard before to be honest.

mp3 doesn't load correctly for me. Stops and starts.

edit: oops I'm capped...had to listen low fi.

Are you going to fill it out with any other instruments or is it gonna be as it is, like a demo?

Last edited:
Danny,

I listened again. This time on lo-fi because the hi-fi isn't working right now.

I think the guitar is nice and I don't think you should change that. I don't want you to think that I don't like the song because I do. What I was saying is that if I heard this on the radio I would probably think "This is a pretty good song, a little better than the others on here, but not by much and it has nothing that stands out".

The lyrics are good and the verses sound good. The chorus, just sounds very cliche and like every other chorus in most songs these days. The vocal melody anyway.

Nothing bad about it, just not original enough I guess. I think you could do better.

I would rate this 7 or 8/10.

Keep up the good work though.

Monkey Allen said:
mp3 doesn't load correctly for me. Stops and starts.

edit: oops I'm capped...had to listen low fi.

Are you going to fill it out with any other instruments or is it gonna be as it is, like a demo?

Well eventually i'll fill it out with other instruments, but i have a limited recording capacity right now. For the time being, i'm going to leave it as is like a demo. What did you think?

I thought it was very good! I liked your vocals especially. They fit the song really well.

It would be nice with some bass and drums. Maybe make it downloadable and someone will help you out...

The playing is super and the singing is super. The lyrics a little hard to follow in what they're really trying to say. But I guess you said "philosophical" and you lost me right there.

The recording and performance is pretty solid.

The guitar tapping sounds really cool.

I liked the song you posted, thought it sounded good. good vocals.

I really am diggin the Jack Johnson "gone" cover that I am listening to now. Are they bongos and just a cymbal? Is it synth? if they are real bongos, what did you mic them with?

What kinda vocal mic are you using?

You got a good voice, wish I could sing like that. Actually, I wish I could just sing. Guitar part sounds cool.

Forgot about this thread until I saw someone mention it in another thread.

Keep up the good songs man.

dmbfan1981 said:
I liked the song you posted, thought it sounded good. good vocals.

I really am diggin the Jack Johnson "gone" cover that I am listening to now. Are they bongos and just a cymbal? Is it synth? if they are real bongos, what did you mic them with?

What kinda vocal mic are you using?

Thanks for the listen dmb. In the 'gone' cover I used a cheap casio keyboard for the bongos, acoustic bass, and the cymbal taps. The vocal mic for 'gone' was an AT3035 while the vocal mic for this song was an AKG Perception 100.

Thanks for the feedback!

nice....I actually have a AT3035. In the process of building a house and a new recording room, so I havent actually gotten to test it out yet. glad to know that it can do a good job. keep up the good work.

did you play with a click track on? i think i hear it in a couple spots where it may have leaked from the headphone. or maybe ive just been in the studio too much 2day (sometimes i have nightmares with the click track :eek: ) even if it is in there, no "normal" person would ever notice (ive heard it on a maroon 5 sound once) its a little too mono for me tho, but that is just personal taste. mixed very well!

sounds great though. i would also really love to hear some bass and drums with this. you have a great voice btw.

great clean recording, guitar tone and voice sounds excellent to me.

Great job!

-Lee

This is a good beginning for a good song.
Work on the chorus and develop an arrangement for a coiuple of extra piece.
Keep at it - it's worth the effort.

Back