New Acoustic Panels with OC 703: Any Health Concerns?

Cuzin B

All,

Finally finished up my new acoustic panel treatments using OC703 in custom MDF trays. Wrapped each tray with a fairly transparent polyester black cloth and I must say...they look awesome and do make a very marked difference in the reflections my studio.

But - is there any evidence that these things will cause any health problems...glass fibers in the air etc etc. My panels will all be wall mounted and will not be bumped, jarred or touched in any way.

I took all the normal precautions when assembling these back in July 2003. Gloves, dust mask...long sleeves....cut and shaped the OC703 outside...etc etc...

Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Cuzin B

You'll be alright as long as you don't start huffing big lines of the stuff.

Just for good practice, I vacuumed out all the dust and little flakes from my gobos.

Otherwise, it's not like they're gonna get disturbed a lot. I wouldn't worry.

If your panels are designed in such a way that the fiberglass is exposed to the open air,then you need to seal them,no matter
if they are getting jarred or touched.It doesnt take much to get fiberglass airborn.
Prolonged exposure leads to silicosis.

Ohhhh man, I just had 24 10'x4'x1" pieces of this stuff delivered on Friday. I'm still in the process of cutting and wrapping but WOW this shit is great. I have all the vertical 90Ø corners blocked off with 3" of it.

SHEPPARDB. said:
If your panels are designed in such a way that the fiberglass is exposed to the open air,then you need to seal them,no matter
if they are getting jarred or touched.It doesnt take much to get fiberglass airborn.
Prolonged exposure leads to silicosis.

My panels are all wrapped tight in the cloth I mentioned but the actual fiberglass is right behind the cloth...NOT sealed in plastic or anything else. (as I have read some have done)

Silicosis? Nice - Am I gonna be mixing a track one day and watch my lung pop out on the console?

Cuzin B

Prolonged exposure to literal snowfalls of the stuff.

Sealing fiberglass in plastic defeats the purpose. Now you have a very expensive diffusor instead of an effective absorber.

c7sus said:

Sealing fiberglass in plastic defeats the purpose. Now you have a very expensive diffusor instead of an effective absorber.

I thought it wouldn't have an effect on the low end absorbtion but definately reflect the highs.

c7sus said:

The effects of some products are only now being realized.I think it is important to remember that your ears will not function un-
less you are breathing!A great sounding room means nothing to
the dead.

I've been shuffling my gobos around the room here for 6 months. I don't see any shedding of fibers.

For example, asbsestos is perfectly safe UNTIL YOU DISTURB IT! Once applied to whatever you apply it too, it stays there until you cut it, break it, or what have you. The accepted industrial standard for decomposing asbestos, short of removal, is simple encapsulation in a compound similar to glue.

I'd venture there are much more immediate health risks in OSB and carpeting from the off-gassing of formaldehyde then there is from RFS.

The rigid type of fiberglas doesn't seem to shed at all compared to the regular stuff. It must be the binder they use.

I think that depends on the particular individual product in question more than anything.

I have some Knauff stuff that I believe is their equivilant of 705 or so... the boards are as dry and crumbly as scorched cookies. Flakes everywhere. can't even pick up the stuff without a chunk coming off and all the glass-dust flying everywhere.

Conversely, I have some rockwool from Roxul that others have said is super nasty to work with, which is a pleasure in compairson. It's reasonably soft, bends instead of breaks, cuts cleanly, and hardly dusts at all.

It does come with a "possible carcinogen" warning though. Still, it rarely gets in the air in significant amounts so I almost never wear a mask when working with it, and sometimes don't even bother with gloves.

If you're an old fuck like me, something else will probably kill you before this stuff will. If you're young and NOT stupid, cover it with a THIN plastic such as painter's drop cloths (1 to 2 mil, or 1/40 to 2/40 of a millimeter) - you'll get a little less high absorption (usually a GOOD thing) and you can stop wondering about it. Plus, stuffing the crap into something like garbage bags makes it easier to slide into cavities in walls. Win-win... Steve

We have asbestos and fiberglass exposed in the enclosed sound booth I use at work. There's a very ironic sign that says "Asbestos ventilation: Avoid Creating Dust" You should see the place. It is a dust sanctuary....

Don't worry about it. Unless you set it on fire and meditate to Pink Floyd, you'll be fine.

Well...it's a little late for me to cover it in any kind of plastic since the cloth covers have already been applied. But the cloth I have is a very fine dense weave....can't see thru it or anything so I think it will be okay.

Again - I am not going to be touching these things again once they are mounted so I hope this crap is as stable as everyone is making it out to be.

Cuzin B

Back