Never forget

Greg_L

Banned
Well, I forgot. Not to be a dick, I just forgot. I didn't realize today was that day until a little while ago. Is that bad? I don't vote, recycle, or eat Big Macs. Am I a bad murrikan? :confused:

if your on about that horrid day its not been on the news in england,did not have a clue till someone brought it up later in the day :(

if your on about that horrid day its not been on the news in england,did not have a clue till someone brought it up later in the day :(

In my lifetime, 9/11 is the worst day we've collectively had as a nation. That's just in my lifetime though. And I forgot about it. Is that time healing all wounds? I don't know, it certainly sucked, but I personally wasn't really wounded by it. I know people that were, and I feel bad for them, but for me, it was just a crazy bad thing that happened. It wasn't a life altering moment for me besides just being what it was. Maybe that's why I forgot. I'm sure the people that lost loved ones that day haven't forgotten. Maybe that's why I'm feeling weird about forgetting. I don't know. I'm not some flag waving yeehaw america motherfucker. I'm just a regular dude that forgot.

I think it was a pivotal event in recent history. It did get us involved in a war, ISIS is a result from that, it changed our habits in air travel, created a new agency called TSA, and made the US rethink its role in the US.

Other than air travel, it has had very little impact on my day to day life. Maybe I knew somebody, but they were not that close to me.

9/11 was a tragedy, it will have lasting affects for the near future. But life does go on as it always has and always will.

I remember very vividly sitting in the pub (it was a day off) relaxing after having my sleeve tattoo and watching it on TV. We thought it was the making of a film or something until we turned the jukebox off and the sound up. It was just the most insane shit ever and still is today, in my lifetime.

So sad to think of all those innocent peoples lives turned off, just like that, for nothing.

I was 3000 miles from home, having taken one of the same flights that was crashed into the WTC just 2 days before. Being on the first regularly scheduled flight out of SFO 5 days later meant I wasn't really directly affected. Get home to find out the mother of a coworker was one of those flights. A guy from my high school (grad class year after me) was a firefighter killed during the building collapse. No, I wasn't directly affected, but the peripheral affect touched everyone in this country. If you somehow missed that today was the anniversary, it just means you didn't see tv, hear radio, see an internet 'regular' page (yahoo, aol, etc). That in itself doesn't make you a bad person! :o

Because we're closer to the international date line, 9/11 was actually yesterday here... now whilst generally it's "remembered" on US time which sort of starts sometime in the afternoon, there's always been some mention of it in our media when it's 9/11 here. Yesterday (9/11)? Nothing. I missed it completely...

Today.... there's news but not a huge amount.

It's a day I'll never forget. My Dad had died a couple of weeks before and I remember thinking for the first time ever in my life "I wonder what he would have made of this." It was the kind of thing we would have talked about and been genuinely interested in each other's view. My wife was pregnant and it was she that told me that "something had happened in America" because I'd been recording all day as I finished work really early and was taking advantage of 7 free hours. Until that day, I'd never heard of Osama Bin Laden though I knew a few Osamas. I saw it on the news and it was one of the craziest things I'd ever seen. The next morning, all these barriers went around the American embassy in Grosvenor Square forcing the traffic to have to go right around. They're still there, as are the armed police.
For a couple of years after, I watched loads of documentaries on it. I still have them but I've not watched them in 11 years.
But I forgot today too. It wasn't until I was doing a delivery this morning and I had to tell someone the date and time that I thought, wow, it's September the 11th. We've gotten so used to calling the event 9/11 that when that date comes around, if one is away from telly or radio, it's easy to forget because that's not how we write dates here. To us it's 11/9.

Lol. Great name! Too bad it was shot down. Happy birthday to the little one. :D

Thanks mate. Here's a pic of him with his new fave toy: -

IMG_3005_zpsf8943237.jpg

I didn't remember when I first woke up this morning, but it didn't take long to realize what day it was. Then I spent 15 minutes explaining to my 8 yr old what happened 13 yrs ago and why it was an important day in our history. I got to tell her about one plane full of heroes.

Great pic of your kid, Jonny.

I remember 7/11 has the cheapest petrol around here, though Im not sure of its quality

America never died, it was never really alive...

---------- Update ----------

Thanks mate. Here's a pic of him with his new fave toy: -

IMG_3005_zpsf8943237.jpg

great pic

I think mine wants to be a drummer...interestingly she has the same birthdate as Keith Moon...I guess its a sign :)

I was in my third grade gym class, and the headmaster came over the school's PA and announced it.

Our gym teacher sat us down in a huge circle with herself in the center and started crying and explaining things to us.
None of us in my class had any idea what the World Trade Center, Hijacking, or terrorism meant - we were 8 years old.
But we learned quickly, and we learned that some people are just shitty and life doesn't make sense because of them.

On a personal note, as the only other brown kid (besides my sister) in an all white Christian school in Mississippi, life kind of sucked.
I didn't have as many friends for a bit after that because I guess there parents told them to distance themselves from me or something. Although a few did stick around, and they're still my best friends to this day. I remember the stares from teachers and stuff, my parents being targeted by racist customers.

We were robbed in November of that year, I'm older now so I can't say that it was a hate crime (I'm sure it was more of a money crime), but I remember thinking at the time that maybe if we weren't brown, those 4 guys wouldn't have ran into our store and put guns in my mom's, and grandparents face while I hid behind a chair in the back room and saw them shooting in the store and shoving my mom all over the place. I remember my mom running out after them, and hearing a few gunshot and then - silence. I thought my mom was dead and then I started crying. A few minutes later she came in and I realized it was her shooting at them :D

And I remember thinking, "I'm not even from there! We're Indian! It's not the same, we're not terrorists."
But then I got older, realized every racist I encountered had no geographical knowledge for 1, and 2 - they probably wouldn't have cared either way because racists don't discriminate against discriminating. And I also realized that Afghani's aren't terrorists either. Terrorism has no race, it's just a bunch of assholes being assholes.

I forgot about it too until I heard a short story on the news about a memorial. It didn't receive a lot of coverage. I think it got nudged aside cuz of other scary stories in the news that the media are more interested in flogging.

I was in my third grade gym class, and the headmaster came over the school's PA and announced it.

Our gym teacher sat us down in a huge circle with herself in the center and started crying and explaining things to us.
None of us in my class had any idea what the World Trade Center, Hijacking, or terrorism meant - we were 8 years old.
But we learned quickly, and we learned that some people are just shitty and life doesn't make sense because of them.

On a personal note, as the only other brown kid (besides my sister) in an all white Christian school in Mississippi, life kind of sucked.
I didn't have as many friends for a bit after that because I guess there parents told them to distance themselves from me or something. Although a few did stick around, and they're still my best friends to this day. I remember the stares from teachers and stuff, my parents being targeted by racist customers.

We were robbed in November of that year, I'm older now so I can't say that it was a hate crime (I'm sure it was more of a money crime), but I remember thinking at the time that maybe if we weren't brown, those 4 guys wouldn't have ran into our store and put guns in my mom's, and grandparents face while I hid behind a chair in the back room and saw them shooting in the store and shoving my mom all over the place. I remember my mom running out after them, and hearing a few gunshot and then - silence. I thought my mom was dead and then I started crying. A few minutes later she came in and I realized it was her shooting at them :D

And I remember thinking, "I'm not even from there! We're Indian! It's not the same, we're not terrorists."
But then I got older, realized every racist I encountered had no geographical knowledge for 1, and 2 - they probably wouldn't have cared either way because racists don't discriminate against discriminating. And I also realized that Afghani's aren't terrorists either. Terrorism has no race, it's just a bunch of assholes being assholes.
Holy shit, man. That's quite a story. Glad you're alive to talk about it.

I just realized I missed a thread about 9/11. Probably a good thing, I'm sure the conversation would have gone south quick if I had chimed in earlier. :D

Back