Neutral flexible large diaphragms

parkbirds

I’m thinking about making a Shure KSM44, KSM32, AT4050 or an AKG C414-BULS my next purchase. Since these mics seem to get good reviews, I’m wondering why people choose one over the other. For example, does the KSM44 in cardiod sound like the KSM32? What are the differences between the different versions of the C414? I’m not really into the flavor of the month response, I’m just wondering what people like and why.

In other words why in particular do you prefer one mic over the other (in terms of neutrality)? I know it’s subjective, I’m just interested. Yes I need to go try them out, but I’m not really sure how great my ears are in anxious pro audio store mode (especially when not familiar with the signal path or monitoring system.)

For reference I’m using an RNP as my only preamp. The mic will be used for mainly drums, ambience and relaxed vocals- multi purposes basically. And it will be my only LDC for the time being.

Hum...

What about the KSM44 makes it less neutral? Detail in midrange? Peak in highs? I know it will get different response in different patterns, omni seems to look the most "flat" (according to the visual Shure frequency response graphs.)

I guess what I'm asking is does the KSM44 sound like a vocal microphone? That's not entirely what I'm going for.

Should I look into the KSM44?
Would I be better off buying a KSM32 and a CAD M179 (for multiple patterns)?
Or what about something else?

The 44 has some high peaks vs. the 32. Look at the frequency charts on the Shure site. I don't have the 44, I have the 27, which is a lesser mic but otherwise has a similar architecture & response. I think the 27 is a vocal mic because I like the 81 more on instruments. The 27 doesn't seem that flexible to me. Now the 44 has the multiple patterns, which is a big plus, so weigh that vs. the flatter response of the 32.

IMO, the AT4050 is the most flexible of the bunch, and probably my favorite.

I have a thing for Audio Technica mics! :)

hum....

I read on the tapeop message board that the KSM44 in cardiod sounds like the KSM27, it could be newbie speculation but it’s enough to make you stop and think. Anyone care to dispel this myth?

I’m looking more into the AT4050, I’m just a bit weary since I have no experience with AT products.

Should I look into any of the breeds of the C414?

Back