Neutral compressor for under $1000?

69ShadesofRed

Can anyone recommend a pretty neutral sounding compressor for under a $1000? I pretty much need something to patch between the mic-pre and AD converter to tame the signals before they hit the converter w/o coloring the sound too much. The $1000 is somewhat flexible, and I don't have to purchase new, I see good deals on e-bay. I just need advice to put me on the right tracks.

Thanks for the advice.

Used Compellors usually go for around $500 or a little under on eBay. There are several different models, the most recent is the 320A, and that's the one you want if you go for a Compellor. It's very clean and invisible gain control.

The Compellor is a little different than a typical compressor, but it sounds like it would do what you need very well. Otherwise, the RNC is a good suggestion. Another clean compressor in your price range would be a couple used Aphex Expressors, which are their true compressor.

For tracking, a dbx 160x wouldn't be such a bad choice either. I don't think you will find too much the minimal amount of "color" it imparts on the sound, and one can be had used for about $250.

The Compellor is a decent choice, but frankly, I would rather use the 160x.

Good luck.

Ed

Thank you all for the suggestions. Just placed an order for the RNC based on what I read in this post and the other references to it elsewhere on HR. I will keep the other suggestions in mind as the need arises.

Good luck matey, I love my RNC! I got it for £75 used, which is great, as it is £200 new here. It is like owning two compressors in one tiny box too, as you can use it with the 'Super Nice' mode engaged or not, and the difference is apparent!

It is unbalanced though and the wall wart is a bit of a pain, but definately the best thing I have bought!

Back