Neumann vs AKG

Apple

I've used an AKG 414 and a 451 for a number of years with never a complaint, but recently, I've tried out some of the new Mics to hit the market. Just to see what they do and they aren't bad...for a hundred dollars. Namely some Marshall's which I use as overheads and a Behringer B2 for vocals and a Behringer B5 for my acoustic guitar. I think as overheads, they are fine, but I'm a little distrustful doing the vocals with these microphones. Of course, what I'm hearing is subjective and when I was starting out with recording, these new mics would have been much appreciated. Any differing opinions? I considered selling the 414 but now I've decided not to. I have never gotten to play with a Neumann U87. Anyone do a comparison with a 414? I've also read that Neumann has put it's name on some lesser priced microphones that just aren't up to Neumann standards. So, if I ever get a Neumann, I would want a U87. But, as often is the case with musical equipment, there is a lot of hype. How much better could a Neumann U87 sound that an AKG 414?

heh, i probably sound like a broken record, but KEEP THE 414! you will always have places to use it. I have a tlm 103 that doesn't blow my mind. very very quiet mic, though. check out the geffel line, they get tons of respect around here, and are supposedly owned by the orig. neumann family, or something of the like.

Tlm 103

The TLM 103 was the Neumann I was specifically referring to. I read a bad review stating that it was not the same type of mic as the classic Neumanns. I had originally thought that they made a classic Neumann design affordable by not having all the bells and whistles. The reviewer said different. But, I'm still wondering if anyone has made a comparison with a classic Neumann? My AKG 414 has all bells and whistles of a full featured studio mic but I typically just use it for vocals and it stays on the same settings.
Also, some of these new mics on the market sound pretty good on casual listening. I would think that a lot of companies might be tempted to put their name on a similar design and sell it as the real thing for more money. I tried out a Behringer B2 and it has all the bells and whistles, is inexpensive at 150 dollars and subjectively, it sounds like a large diaphram capacitor mic. It looks very much like a U87.

Mark7 said:
The UMT800 is the Microtech Gefell equivalent to the C414 and the U89.

To my ears, the Neumann that is closest to the Microtech Gefell UMT800 is the Neumann TLM170. Although the two mics are still different, they share a Neumann pedigree sound. Their difference is primarily due to the difference capsules used, and to a lesser extent the electronic design and the grill design. The UMT800 uses a real M7 capsule. It's one stunning mic, and the most versatile mic I've ever used, plus is looks cool.

The AKG 414BLUS is more different, although nice with its own character.

I have a tlm 127 and a 103 (got rid of the 103 actually) - two different beasts entirely inspite of what people think. I think Nuemann was trying to make a cheaper (transformerless) version of the U87 which ended up having a character of it's own.

To give you an idea of sound I have a/b tracks of guitar with a soundelux 195 (which alot of you are familiar with) and a tlm 127. The 127 in my test was fuller sounding and had less of high end bump than the 195. Having said that, If I didn't a/b side by side I would have a hard time deciding which one I liked better. Also I should note that I DID NOT have the "fat switch" engaged during this comparison. I could post the sound files if you need me too. The 127 is cheaper if you go for the Set A option (no cherry box or shock mount).

don't get me wrong, i still enjoy the 103, it's just not that amazing... only an amazing perfomance can make any mic sound amazing, though. :D

on some vox the tlm does wonderful, it takes eq wonderfully. i won't be too biased cause i have one, though... i need an RE20 before i decide to move along the soundelux/geffel route though. the tlm is a pretty sweet mic for the 500 i paid, but for 1000 new i know I wouldn't be nearly as happy with it.

How come no one ever comments on how "home-brew" the C414 looks? :confused:

I mean, I'm pretty sure anyone with fairly decent metal working skills could put that body together in less than an hour.

i think the AKG C414 is a very solid build. I dont see how its any different than a metal tube with electronics in it.

I dont think the U87 and AKG C414 can actually be compared really. I have used and owned them both in the studio. They dont sound the same. I personally didnt like the U87 very much. Definately smooth and high quality but i just didnt feel it matched with most of the voices i put on it. But i would probably use it over a C414 on vocals.

I also had a Microtech Gefell UM70 that i thought was very very comparable to the U87. I actually liked the UM70 more. The highs didnt jump out at you as much. But overall i thought they were very similiar in sound.

I still have the AKG C414s which i use all the time. Good for just about everything. I use a Neumann TLM193 which isnt as popular of a microphone but i definately like it over the TLM103. It is a smooth microphone. Medium diaphragm not large so it has a very unique sound. I wouldnt call it the Neumann sound though because its rather dark for Neumann (compared to the classic U87).

Keep the C414 because its just a great mic to have around. It works great on vocals its just not my first go to mic usually.

Danny

Apple said:
I've used an AKG 414 and a 451 for a number of years with never a complaint, but recently, I've tried out some of the new Mics to hit the market. Just to see what they do and they aren't bad...for a hundred dollars. Namely some Marshall's which I use as overheads and a Behringer B2 for vocals and a Behringer B5 for my acoustic guitar. I think as overheads, they are fine, but I'm a little distrustful doing the vocals with these microphones. Of course, what I'm hearing is subjective and when I was starting out with recording, these new mics would have been much appreciated. Any differing opinions? I considered selling the 414 but now I've decided not to. I have never gotten to play with a Neumann U87. Anyone do a comparison with a 414? I've also read that Neumann has put it's name on some lesser priced microphones that just aren't up to Neumann standards. So, if I ever get a Neumann, I would want a U87. But, as often is the case with musical equipment, there is a lot of hype. How much better could a Neumann U87 sound that an AKG 414?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Neumann-U47-T...0QQihZ009QQcategoryZ23784QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Apple said:
I tried out a Behringer B2 and it has all the bells and whistles, is inexpensive at 150 dollars and subjectively, it sounds like a large diaphram capacitor mic. It looks very much like a U87.

Well then, seems like you should just get the Behringer and be done with it.

IMHO
I think the U89 is a closer match to the 414 tranparent(flat-airy, detailed)sound. U87 more colored(warmer-low end), less transparent.
If you need a good vocal mic, but still need the all around benefits of a 414, consider looking at the Neumann M-147.
The two I heard were awesome. And "yes" they were on pre-amps that I have heard the 414 & U87 on. Very clear & airy highs without sounding brittle, with added warmness. Excellent on acoustic instruments also, very detailed.
Probably my next buy in a condensor.

Own 414's, will always keep them in stable.
Don't own the 87, 89, or 147, but have used them on known equipment.

I happen to own a Neumann M149 which is one of the more expensive tube LDC's.

And yeah, it sounds better than a Behringer. :D

Back