Neumann U89 or U87

Re: totally!

nezpierce said:
Seriously though, you have to be a really good chicken hawk to find one of the older ones wouldn't you say Alan?

Actually, no. Coast Recording has them, as does many other specialty shops. I would rather try to get one of those, and if necessary have it rebuilt, but it is then more costly, so I guess you have to ask yourself, how much are these mics worth to you, especially when many of the lower cost mics are really as good, just different.

I worked for AKG for 8 years back in 1979, so I am not bagging them, its just that I have seen the progression of the 414's quality diminish over the years. That is just my take on it.

Alan Hyatt

mictest

Jonas,
you might go here:

http://www.biobonsai.com/echochamber/miktest.htm

if you have the bandwith, download the files and do a blindfold test. You might be very surprised.

But take the whole thing with a grain of salt. I have tested a couple of these miks myself and they can sound diferent on your application (after listening to the nt1000 iwould never have guessed that it could sound so nice on sax!)

Get the U87,...don't let anyone talk you out of it,..period!I have used this mic numerous times in the past and it is one of the king's on the hill.Good for so many applications with excellent results.Don't get to hung up on not having high quality preamps or recording devices at this time.This mic will make what you have sound better right off the hop.As you accumulate higher end equipment and aquire more recording experience along with techniques over time ,you will thank yourself over and over in the future for buying this mic when you did.

Want a great guitar sound,...get a great guitar,...want great vocals,...get a great vocalist,....want to get great recordings,...get a great recording device,...want to capture high quality sounds of that great guitar and vocalist on your great recording device,...GET A GREAT MIC THAT HAS BEEN PROVEN TO DO SO.

Back