Neumann TML 102 into a.....

BLP

I plan on getting a Neumann TLM 102 a few weeks for now. Currently my audio interface is a TC Electronic Desktop Konnekt 6. If I use this to run my mic to my computer will I be loosing any quality?

I want to know how to get the best quality out of the TLM 102 or will the mic pres in the Konnekt 6 work well enough as is.

Here is description

Desktop Konnekt 6 lets you instantly record, musical instruments and vocals into your Mac or PC. With Scene select you can easily access three independent scenes or "setups". The three default presets are for Microphone and guitar, two guitars/basses, and a Stereo line signal. You also get the high Resolution meter that gives you precise information to Monitor the level of the Input signal and if you're near clipping. You can also choose to use the meter for mastering purposes. When it comes to quality of inputs Desktop Konnekt has no compromises and offers IMPACT mic pre, Hi-Z guitar/Line Inputs, Headphone Output and 2 balanced outputs for powered or non powered speaker monitors. Perfect to let you instantly add a reverb using M40 Studio Reverb or to take along with your Notebook for portable Recording sessions, make the Desktop Konnekt 6 your choice now.-Cubase LE4 included-FireWire 1394, Bus powered-24-bit/192 KHz sampling rate-Monitor Control-Big volume control-High resolution meter-Tracking reverb level control-Direct monitor control with Input/DAW control-DIM Switch for convenient speaker dimming-Instant scene recall-Separate headphone level control-IMPACT Mic preamp and I/O-48v phantom power-Inputs: mic + instr / instr + instr / stereo line-Balanced stereo outputs-True Hi-Z guitar inputs known from TC's high-end guitar processors-Headphone out with separate level control and separate source-M40 Studio Reverb powered by AlgoFlex-Studio Sound reverb based on Hardware technology-Hall, Room and Plate algorithms-Powered by AlgoFlex - a new High Definition TC technology that enables hardware quality and predictability to be ported to native software.-Part of monitor mix and included as VST/AU compatible plug-ins

Your question really has no answer. Will it work? yes. Will you be losing something? Of course. If I drive a Honda Civic instead of a Dodge Viper, am I losing something? Yes. If I drive a Dodge Viper instead of a Lamborghini Countach, am I losing something? Yes. If I drive a Countach instead of a Ford F350 pickup with dually, am I losing something? Yes. (The Countach sucks for pulling stumps) There are reasons why some mic preamps cost thousands of dollars, and damned few people can buy one of each to have all the options. I'm sure as hell not one of *them*. OK, I've got an Avalon AD2022, your basic $2500 preamp. Is it the best preamp money can buy? No. Is it always the right preamp? No. I often use a Joemeek twinQ, your basic $850 preamp, instead of the Avalon. Why? For some things, it's a better fit. Could I make the Avalon work instead? Hell, yes.

So, there are 3 things to be considered here. One- some preamps are better made than others. Two- they don't all sound the same, so like mics, there aren't just ones that are better or worse. There are ones that are right or wrong. They are like shoes. The best Italian dress shoes in the world suck for playing ice hockey. And- cheap shoes that fit are always better than expensive shoes that don't. Three- everybody has a budget, and has to make compromises. Like Mick said, "You can't always get what you want".

My opinion is that when you are building your signal chain, you should start with a 2 channel preamp with as little character as possible. I like 2 channels, because I believe in stereo recording, which I do a lot of. I want clean because I can make it work more often than a colored preamp with character. That doesn't make it always the best choice, it just makes it versatile. For my money, the Avalon AD2022 is one of the best clean 2 channel preamps out there, but there are many other choices when you get into that price range.

So take your TLM102 and plug it into your Konnect, and be happy. The fact that there are
Ferraris does not make a Volkswagon unacceptable. As long as you don't become confused, and think your Volkswagon is a Ferrari, you'll be fine. Every project studio is an unholy combination of cheap stuff that works pretty good, and some of them have a few pieces of gear that really are top shelf stuff. My best advice is that when you really do shell out for a piece of badass gear, make sure that it has a lot of uses, because you're going to wind up using it for everything you can. Best of luck.-Richie

Some will disagree with me, but as important as a really good preamp is, I think a really good mic is even moreso.

My philosophy is quality matters more the closer you get to the sound source. Thus, quality matters roughly in this priority:

1) Player
2) Instrument
3) Room
4) Mic
5) Preamp
6) Interface
7) DAW

Of course, monitors are also critical, but exist less in the signal path of what's recorded and more as an overall assessment tool.

You'll love that Neumann mic and a good preamp will help it sound a little bit better, but you'll still love it through a modest preamp.

Some will disagree with me, but as important as a really good preamp is, I think a really good mic is even moreso.

My philosophy is quality matters more the closer you get to the sound source. Thus, quality matters roughly in this priority:

1) Player
2) Instrument
3) Room
4) Mic
5) Preamp
6) Interface
7) DAW

Of course, monitors are also critical, but exist less in the signal path of what's recorded and more as an overall assessment tool.

You'll love that Neumann mic and a good preamp will help it sound a little bit better, but you'll still love it through a modest preamp.

I agree. I have two. I've used them thru pre amps, straight into the board and straight into the computer and they always sound good. Generally the less you have between mic and disk the better.

... Currently my audio interface is a TC Electronic Desktop Konnekt 6. If I use this to run my mic to my computer will I be loosing any quality?...

Compared to what?

I have a 2 ch Jensen Twin Servo 990 mic pre ($2500) and a Stephen Paul modded U87 with the Record Plant stickers still on it. I'd want over $4K if I were to sell it.

When my Jensen broke I bought and used a Presonus BlueTube $150 mic pre.

The Neumann sounded near the same, but with less detail. The overall grerat character of the mic was unchanged.

John Hardy ended up fixing my Jensen for free (a decade out of warranty).

The BlueTube also broke out of warranty when I plugged the wrong ac adapter into it and Presonus also fixed it for free out of warranty.

Two great companies, and each mic pre is a bargain at those prices.

What you'll miss with a cheap pre is detail, but the mic will sound 90% the same (whatever "90% the same" means :confused: ).

So I agree, the mic is way, way more important than the pre, but I'd put the pre next in line, and then your monitor speakers.

I'm of the mind that with close miking the room matters very little, if the mics are a few feet away it really matters.

Back