Neumann TLM102...

Mixteco

Ive been saving up for a neumann for acouple of months now...eventually I heard the release of this new lil thing back late last year.

Ive been waiting and waiting for reviews and hopefully some good news about it. Since I couldnt really come up with much info on it and also couldnt try any out locally...I decided to just go ahead and buy it from zzounds. I mean what do I got to loose, its a neumann, right? lol

I fell in love in the TLM103's sound thru a Universal audio preamp/compressor. So I thought If I dont like this one, I could always resell it on ebay.:cool:

So here's some pics...and Ima try and post up some tests of the TLM102 later tonight if not tomorrow.

**It looks like a mini TLM103...:D**

ENJOY!

2yts9si.jpg

2metnpg.jpg

wlaz9k.jpg

vywi1u.jpg

j8cem9.jpg

2ahcvg1.jpg

o71rg1.jpg

Ya that would prove hard on utube, did you look at the neumann web site? I thought I had seen some last time I was there.

Id think at this price point that there would have been more buzz about this mic here...Id like to hear one next to a KSM32...which is the prime competition.

Id think at this price point that there would have been more buzz about this mic here...Id like to hear one next to a KSM32...which is the prime competition.

Yes me too! Now the 102 is the low end of Neumann and the 32 being on the higher end of shure, I'd love to compare, find out exactly what it best used for, then make a decision on a purchase of the lowest priced Neumann on the market. :cool:

I am very interested to see if Neumann is seriously stepping up to the prosumer plate. It's not that TLM103 is a *bad* mic. It's just a $1000 or-so mic that isn't any better than a whole slew of $500-$800 mics. If Neumann wants some of that market segment, they have to produce a mic that is competitively priced, for starters, and if they want to win, it has to be *better* than equivalently priced competitors in the upper echelon of prosumer manufacturers, particularly Shure, Audio-Technica, AKG, Rode, and B.L.U.E.
From a design standpoint, I think Neumann built this mic while looking pretty carefully at a Microtech Gefell M930. That's *serious* prosumer stuff. Time will tell if they have a winner here. One thing is clear- from a marketing standpoint, TLM103 isn't, really.-Richie

Yes me too! Now the 102 is the low end of Neumann and the 32 being on the higher end of shure, I'd love to compare, find out exactly what it best used for, then make a decision on a purchase of the lowest priced Neumann on the market. :cool:

The 103 is the low end...it just costed more...the KSM32 was always better than that one...from what i heard the 102 is just about dead even.

The 103 is the low end...it just costed more...the KSM32 was always better than that one...from what i heard the 102 is just about dead even.

That's what I like to see - keep putting down the tlm103 - keeps the price reasonable for those of us who really appreciate those mics and feel that they offer something special for vocals that the ksm32 doesn't have.

not putting down the ksm32 - great mic... but to me less of a vocal mic, more of a versatile mic. tlm103 - more of a vocal mic and room mic, less of a versatile mic.

and yes, the tlm103 IS overpriced when new, but used around $600 - $700? it's a very good value imho. I put it over the 4040 and other studio staples for lead vocals when used properly (aiming the mic a tiny bit off axis is critical).

anyway, back to the 102 - who else has used one? what does it shine on? how is it for female vocals, male vocals, soft stuff, hard stuff, guitar amp, acoustic guitar, how is it off axis, how does it's proximity effect feel/work, is it good for distant stuff or is it better within a few inches?

somehow the tlm102 flew under my radar until I saw this thread - I'm excited about this thing!

That's what I like to see - keep putting down the tlm103 - keeps the price reasonable for those of us who really appreciate those mics and feel that they offer something special for vocals that the ksm32 doesn't have.

not putting down the ksm32 - great mic... but to me less of a vocal mic, more of a versatile mic. tlm103 - more of a vocal mic and room mic, less of a versatile mic.

and yes, the tlm103 IS overpriced when new, but used around $600 - $700? it's a very good value imho. I put it over the 4040 and other studio staples for lead vocals when used properly (aiming the mic a tiny bit off axis is critical).

anyway, back to the 102 - who else has used one? what does it shine on? how is it for female vocals, male vocals, soft stuff, hard stuff, guitar amp, acoustic guitar, how is it off axis, how does it's proximity effect feel/work, is it good for distant stuff or is it better within a few inches?

somehow the tlm102 flew under my radar until I saw this thread - I'm excited about this thing!
The TLM103 was kinda dissapointing...many offerings arond $500 did the job better...the TLM103 wasnt even as good as the AT4047 at being a Neumann...it just had the badge...so I say if you can do better without spending an extra $500...do it.

I dont critisize the TLM103 for being a bad mic because it really isnt...but if its twice the price of a $500 mic...I had better beat any of them...it dissapointed me...the TLM102 seems better...and priced appropriately and will give the KSM32 a good run for its money.

Even as good as the tracks with it sound...Ill wait a few years to let the people beta test it and put it through the paces.

Back