Neumann TLM 102 anybody?

snellular5

neil young whore
Has anyone tried the newish Neumann TLM 102 out I saw some great demos of it on youtube but just wanted to know if anyone had any personal experience with it. Im considering buying it as I am looking for a nice LDC around $700.
Thanks
Matt

If I were you I would spend the few hundred more and purchase the 103 instead of the102. That's just me, now the 102 has a preset boost at 6K do you want this?

Darn your right I didnt realise that boost and I dont think i want that, that's for sure. Thanks man
Matt

I went ahead and listened to the few things that soundpure studios uploaded and it sounds pretty good...I think if it was opened we might find a 3/4" capsule like a KSM32 or an AT4033...C214...etc.
But that might also be why we havent seen anyone put up a vocal yet...but the voice over sounded pretty good...if you are looking to get the name Neumann just so you can wow a few clients then Id think you are doing better than the TLM103...but it isnt much better than the major companies offerings at $500.

I went ahead and listened to the few things that soundpure studios uploaded and it sounds pretty good...I think if it was opened we might find a 3/4" capsule like a KSM32 or an AT4033...C214...etc.
But that might also be why we havent seen anyone put up a vocal yet...but the voice over sounded pretty good...if you are looking to get the name Neumann just so you can wow a few clients then Id think you are doing better than the TLM103...but it isnt much better than the major companies offerings at $500.

Darrin PM me a few of the Major companies offerings at $500. unless you think you could post it here. thanks

KSM44...KSM32...AT4040...AT4033...AT4047...AT4050...AKG214.
Id gather that it is here to compete with them...but I dont think its really better than any of these...it does seem nicer than the TLM103.

The TLM 102 was designed really for the home studio to bring Neumann quality at a lower price bracket.

It has a completely new capsule.

Listen to both the TLM 102 and the 103 (and maybe even the new Sennheiser MK4).

Some people prefer the 102 over the 103 - it's personal choice when it comes to vocal mics and what suits you best.

Though people who don't like the 103 often like the TLM 49.

I would also check out the CAD E100S. Nothing like the old E100. A tube mic I would also strongly recommend is the Stellar CM-6....$350. The Stellar is an amazing value.

David Blackmon

There is a good review here, and a comparison with the 103 here.

Funny enough the 102 is selling cheaper than the 103, even some secondhand 103's are more expensive, the TLM102 is on my shopping list.

Cheers
alan.

I'm pretty interested in this mic. It's looks remind me of the Gefell M930 which is a great mic. I had one of those over here a few weeks back and it was one of the best vocal mics (on the singer I was recording) I've heard!
I'm hoping to get a TLM 102, AT4047 and AKG C214 here to try out for a female vocalist.

I have a pair. VERY true reproduction of what things sound like when you're standing in the room. I've turned my head to see who was behind me more than once as someone was making noise in the live room while I was wearing cans in the control room... really amazing for the price. So far I've mainly used them as rooms and overheads for drums, vocals and electric guitar. Loved them on everything except the close mic guitar amp position, simply because I dig a 57 over everything for that because of how it rolls off highs and lows pretty naturally. A few feet back and they sound great again. Can't recommend enough.

I'm pretty interested in this mic. It's looks remind me of the Gefell M930 which is a great mic. I had one of those over here a few weeks back and it was one of the best vocal mics (on the singer I was recording) I've heard!

The Gefell M 930 now has a brother - the M 930 Ts.

Basically the same mic., but the M 930 Ts has a transformer output. It won the MIPA award this year for "Best Studio Microphone". :thumbs up:

Back