Neumann,Shure,Blue, Mic PRe or ??

Jason James

Hey Guys,
Doing the project studio thing and needing some upgrading. Right now I'm using the NT 2 and Oktava MK-012's with an Allen and Heath mixer and Joe Meek VC3Q. (will be recording to a Nuendo PC system with a UAD-1 Card and 2 Delta 10/10's. I'm looking at the TLM 103, Shure KSM 32 or 44, Blue Dragonfly, Baby Bottle or Blueberry, or AKG 414 for main vox/room mic. For overheads/ac gtr etc - KM 184's, or shure sm 81's or ?? Also I need to upgrade pre's looking at the AMEK or more realisticly the RNP. I'm recording mostly full band rock, rock/country, rock/jazz. Need best gear for bucks and that will help attract clients. What should come first nicer pres or mics. Help me get started right. Thanks for the replies.

Jason

I think the Oktavas are already professional quality SDs. So I wouldn't spend my upgrade money there. The NT2 is also a nice mic IMO, so instead of looking for something to upgrade it, I'd look for something to compliment it. Maybe something a little warmer like SP T-3 or a LOMO head for one of the Oktavas. I don't think the TLM 103 would do the trick, and I don't know much about the BLUEs except that they are highly regarded.

I'm confident the RNP is going to be a great pre, but for country/rock the Meek TwinQ would be high on my list. It offers great sound and a lot of versatility.

Do the Dragonfly. Not only is it one of the best vocal mics in its price range, its weird looks are bound to impress the clueless. Then the RNP would be a good choice to follow.-Richie

Back