Neumann KMS105's anything wrong with them?

roadwarrior

I am about to pull the trigger on a Neumann KMS105 for live use. I've read a ton of great comments and folks that love them. Big stars use them all over the place. However on Neumann's own forum site I saw some intrigueing posts listing some problems where the mic cuts out during performance. Is this a wide spread issue, or a very rare occurance. I'm not happy about plunking down over $600 smackers for one to find out I'm on the list of problematic owners. Just curious if any of you out there have either used them, or know folks that have them in their mic closet, and if so have they liked them or had ANY issues with them.

roadwarrior said:
I am about to pull the trigger on a Neumann KMS105 for live use. I've read a ton of great comments and folks that love them. Big stars use them all over the place. However on Neumann's own forum site I saw some intrigueing posts listing some problems where the mic cuts out during performance. Is this a wide spread issue, or a very rare occurance. I'm not happy about plunking down over $600 smackers for one to find out I'm on the list of problematic owners. Just curious if any of you out there have either used them, or know folks that have them in their mic closet, and if so have they liked them or had ANY issues with them.

You will never hear a better mic for live use

I was hoping to hear such a glowing report. Now if that pesky cutting out issue some have experienced passes me by I'll be just fine. ;)

I have used the Neumann 105 many times on stage and have never had a single issue with it except for the normal "control" issues with any condensors in conjunction with a PA. I have also had no problems "splitting" the signal for the monitor console. It is an awesome sounding mic when in the right hands. The problem is that when in the wrong hands, it reveals that more than most other mics as well;)

If you are in SLC, go talk to the guys over at Performance Audio. They have a couple of the 105's in their rental stock. See if they hae had any problems. If not, get one from them:)

Or call me:)

Thanks for that advice. I have a deal set up with my rep at Sweetwater. By all means shoot me a PM or email with your phone. I'd like to chat with ya. I'm in Herriman south of SLC.

I have this unit. Yes, it does have that problem of the sound cutting out periodically and unexpectedly. I know it's not due to phantom power or bad cable. I bought it used from someone else for a good price, so I'm trying to find a way to repair it.

Any tip or advice?

I've just bought one & I think it is the greatest since sliced cheese. I've only given it studio use so far but man it's good

however I had Nick Harper performing in my live room at QPQ & he sound checked & everything was fine. He went eventually to do his performance & the mic wasn't working?????????? we plugged a sennheiser MD431 mkII into the same lead & it worked, so we re-plugged nick's KMS105 & it worked fine

I would buy another one but I'm skint

The KMS105 is a great stage vocal mic. The biggest difficulty that I've found with them, though, is that if you give one to a vocalist who is used to, say, an SM58, they will probably work the mic too closely. If you get right on top of a KMS105 - literally kissing the front of it as many vocalists do with a 58 - it doesn't sound very good. If you give it a little room, even an inch or two, it will sound great. So you need to coach the vocalists to use it correctly.

Also, keep in mind that it has a very narrow pattern ("supercardioid"), so it is not a good choice for a singer who isn't consistent in his/her approach to the mic.

Other good stage vocal mics include the AT AE5400, Shure Beta 87 (or even Beta 58), AKG 535, and Sennheiser MD431 (and probably a ton of others).

I'd add the Audix VX-10 and the Beyer M-88 to that list. IMHO, the AE5400, VX-10 and KMS-105 are the top performing condensors available. Which one is "better" is mostly a matter of personal preference. In terms of price, the AE5400 is a relative bargain, especially if you can find a used one.

pohaku said:
I'd add the Audix VX-10 and the Beyer M-88 to that list. IMHO, the AE5400, VX-10 and KMS-105 are the top performing condensors available. Which one is "better" is mostly a matter of personal preference. In terms of price, the AE5400 is a relative bargain, especially if you can find a used one.

Ever heard the Rode S1? I would think that might be
in the pack also. I've tried to find out more about
the S1 but it seems not many are using it.

Well......so far so good. I've been using a outboard Stewart Phantom supply for use on the Samson Expedition PA with no issues. In the studio the 105 sure does shine. As rich and full and clear as anything I've heard. If you get real intimate with it however it will pop on the plosives (which I though it was supposed to be immune to with all those layers). I was ready to pull the trigger on a S3 but decided to go all out. I have no idea just how good the S3 is. I don't doubt it is also a very competitive mic in the grand scheme of things. Most Rode's are. I have 3 of them. AFAIAC NOTHING beats the K2... :D

Back