Neumann KM183, 184 & 185

guismarques

Hi ppl

I found that the diifference between Neumann KM183, 184 and 185 it`s just the capsule, right?!

So, for OH and acoustic guitar mic, wich one would fit?!

it would be a good choice the AKG Drum Package (2x C418 and a D112)???? at sweetwater, it would cost just few bucks more than a D112 and 2x Sm57 as i was wondering about before.... and i already have 2x Sm57 here...

that`s it! any suggestion, please post!

ty

Gui

guismarques said:
Hi ppl
I found that the diifference between Neumann KM183, 184 and 185 it`s just the capsule, right?!
So, for OH and acoustic guitar mic, wich one would fit?!
it would be a good choice the AKG Drum Package (2x C418 and a D112)???? at sweetwater, it would cost just few bucks more than a D112 and 2x Sm57 as i was wondering about before.... and i already have 2x Sm57 here...
that`s it! any suggestion, please post!
ty
Gui
For the price of one Neumann you could get a matched pair of sE Electronics SE3's.
Not Neumanns but very very nice for overheads, acoustic guitars etc.
http://www.seelectronics.com/
Touch base with Warren Dent at Front End Audio.
He did an A/B with the older and more respected Neumann KM 84 and the SE3.
His comments may surprise you.

homestudioguy said:
For the price of one Neumann you could get a matched pair of sE Electronics SE3's.
Not Neumanns but very very nice for overheads, acoustic guitars etc.
http://www.seelectronics.com/
Touch base with Warren Dent at Front End Audio.
He did an A/B with the older and more respected Neumann KM 84 and the SE3.
His comments may surprise you.
:rolleyes:
For equal time, Warren, who contributes a lot to various boards and sells and comments on various brands (with apparent objectivity) through his website also did some comparisons of the Peluso mics, the KM84, and the AKG 414 here:
http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2079&alid=1668
Other popular alternatives for overheads might be the Oktava MC-012's, Studio Projects C4's, Rode NT-4 and NT-5's, the Naiant MSH's (awesome and cheap) at www.naiant.com, and several of the group buy models that will be available soon through this forum (though you'll have to wait a while for those).
FWIW I don't represent, work for, or otherwise have any financial interest in any of those companies.

kojdogg said:
:rolleyes:
FWIW I don't represent, work for, or otherwise have any financial interest in any of those companies.
Nor do I including sE any longer. :eek:
My financial interest? I sold one Reflexion Filter in 3 months time and sold my own mics and gear to purchase the sE mics I did buy.
Yuppur! Big Bucks for Bobby :rolleyes:
Must have been Bad Karma. :p

Id go with the 184s. Theyre brighter than the older KM84s though and not quite as smooth, to me. The KM 140 with a cardioid capsule is pretty much the same as the KM184, but you can swap capsules (like the KMi's) .
One mic that held up very well against the 84s and Gefell M300s was the AKG 451 EB, and its not too expensive.
I used the stock Oktavas (the real Russian ones) on overheads for several years, and thought they were pretty good,...till I picked up a pair of the 451s. Back to back, they (Oktava) showed their limitations.
Even after I grabbed a pair of the KM84s, I still use the 451s on my overheads from time to time ( if I want to put the 84 on snare).

i am searching for a matched pair that really works good... and as i know, neumann`s mics are very good and sounds really pro. the SE3`s sounds clear and open like the 184`s?!

Back