Neoprene in Toronto

cmick

Hello all,
I am looking for a supplier of neoprene rubber for around my control room wall. I can't really get started until I have this material. If anyone knows a supplier in the Southern Ontario area and could contact me with a phone number, it would be greatly appreciated. By e-mail I can be reached at <cmick2000@hotmail.com> or call me at (905)723-3678.

Thank-you,
Craig McMillan

you may want to ask Bruce from Blue Bear Sound. He is in Ottawa and I remember him saying something in a different thread about where he got his ( somewhere in Ontario).

Good luck!!

I dealt with Ontario Gasket Inc. in Ottawa for neoprene.

U10-5350 Canotek Road
Gloucester, ON
(613) 747-1455

There's also Neoprene Canada in Montreal.

206 Notre-Dame L'Epiphanie
Montreal, PQ
(514) 768-5500

Bruce

Bruce,

I hope you don't mind if I pick your brain a little more, but I was wondering what sizes that company sells neoprene in, or what sizes you used. I'm thinking that I am going to build two 2x4 walls with about a 4" air pocket between. Do you know if they sell a size of about 3" or so. Also, what ultimately is the benifit sonically of floating the walls.

Thanks in advance,
Craig.

The basic advantage is decoupling the walls from extraneous noise/vibration. You need at least 1" open-cell neoprene, but I don't know what sizes these companies consider "typical".

I used 1" to decouple my nearfields from the console itself.

Bruce

Half inch or one inch ?

Hi guys,

What thickness is best ? 1" is a lot more expensive than 1/2" as used by John Sayers in Amirel's studio. How much weight u intend to float will dictate the durometer rating and also potentially the required thickness.If I remember Snapper used a 60 rated neoprene in half inch thickness. I did have a psi to durometer chart but can't find it right now.

Any thoughts guys?

http://www.sealsales.com/ has a couple of types of neoprene.
I tried a search and got this:

Results for "neoprene":
Showing results 1 through 2
1 - Neoprene Sheet Gasket material - Neoprene 60 Durometer Neoprene blend provides moderate resistance to oil and ozone. Good for use in bumpers, pads, and sealing in general gasket and flange applications. Minimum Tensile strength - 800 PSI. Durometer 60+/-5. Temperature range: -20F to 170...
2 - Silicone Nitrle PVC and Neoprene Sponge - Medium Density Silicone Sponge Black Neoprene closed cell (expanded ) sponge sheet. Tiny individual sealed cells contain inert nitrogen gas to resist moisture. Excellent and a sound and vibration dampener. Temperature rating: -30F to 150F Silicone sponge...

so Neoprene 60 is the one to go for floating walls and the other would be suitable for decoupling monitors yes?

Cheers

Holy Crap!!! You're asking us???? You know more about freakin' neoprene than I do!!!!!!! ;)
:D :D

I was told I needed open-cell neoprene, no less than 1" thick, to properly decouple monitors from the console.... so that's what I did and it worked...

Beyond that level of of detail, you're way ahead of me!

:)

Bruce

:) Hey that's cool Bruce !

I'm interested in this thickness issue as I am yet to buy neoprene - my walls are still floating on well caulked rolls of roofing felt and my floor is on structural rockwool :eek:

Perhaps sjoko has the low down on the ideal thickness and durometer rating for neoprene under wall plates ? If I locate that durometer to psi chart I'll post it.

Cheers

I wouldnt worry so much about the 1/2" or 1" but do make sure you know the durometer rating if your going to use it to float walls. You dont want that stuff squishing out on you-that could cause some problems. I searched and searched for a neoprene alternative to auralex and some of the other "specialty" soundproofing company's over priced neoprene. What I bought was a 3/8"x48"x72" sheet of neoprene from a place called binkelman corp. http://www.binkelman.com for $139.00 plus $25 for shipping(its heavy). I'm using it float the walls, decouple the walls from ceiling & floor and as a gasget for the control room gass/ frame(cut into nice strips). Do the math and you will see that you can save a shitpile of money and use it elsewhere too. I did however buy some vib-x washers and vib-x tube to use on the bolts and washers that attach the base plates to the slab. The cost vs hassle made that a little easyer to swallow($48.20 w/shipping).

Back