Neil Young's Acoustic Guitar Sound

TheGuardian

I have been having quite a challenge over the years getting the acoustic guitar sound that I really love. Generally the sound I get is thin, even after moving to a large condenser mic. I play very well and have always been very unsatisfied when I try to record my acoustic sound.

I would say that the closest that I've heard to what I'm looking for is the standard acoustic guitar sound used by Neil Young. Does anyone know what mic he uses and anything else that might help me acheive a similar sound? That full clear sound is what I'm aiming for. Even when playing live or on TV he gets that same exact sound. Its so consistent that it must be reproducable with the right mic and EQ.

I already have a nice full sounding guitar, so I'm mainly interested in the right gear. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!
Regards,
Andrew

What is your guitar, mic, pre and how are you micing? Do you have any mp3's? What is the room like?

I'm afraid I don't know any specifics about Neil's recording techniques but we can help you out if you tell us how your recording now. There are also many threads on micing acoustic guitars if you do a search.

Dunno about on record... but live, the best acoustic guitar sound I ever heard was Neil Young, with a Martin with a Sunrise soundhole pickup. Michael Hedges used Sunrises live too, and had similarly stellar results.

in his solo acoustic shows from 99 neil would do two things. first, the guitar was always plugged in....presumably a under the bridge pick up, something liike a fishman maybe, then he would also have a small condensor pointed by the neck........then the singnal would obviously be mixed in some fashion........this method is also used in the studio as the video 'silver and gold' at the very end has him doing a recording in his studio...solo.

I've had a bit of a struggle getting a good acoustic recording also. I have been very impressed with the marshall mxl603 mic. I got a very sweet sound the other day with the 603 on one track and my piezo on the other track through a Blue Tube - panned to opposite sides. The 603 is very nice on an acoustic.

electric tones

wrong forum but....mics are still involved....I love the sound of the electric guit and amp on Neil Young's "Are You Passionate" cd. Anyone hear it? great CD

Thanks Hixmix -
Sorry to think you sound like you are speaking from personal experience...

ALL others - Thanks for your answers and suggestions. I'll check out the Acoustic Lens and the MXL-603 and let you know how it goes.

Any other suggestions are always very welcome. This is a great forum.

Regards,
Andrew

I tried the Hixmix technique and it sounded like Bob Dylan not Neil Young!

Are there any rectal "mods" that would get me closer to the sound I'm looking for?

-Jett

Something tells me we're coming back to that poll we had a couple of months ago..."The Best Mic under $200 to Stick Up Your Ass"...

I know it's out of the price range, but I vote for the Cactus, just to watch the expression on the "stickee's" face...

So what are we sayin.....
He uses these Frap pickups and goes direct in to his amp with no micing? Clean sound.

What kinda guitar ya got Andy?

The main guitar that I'm looking to record is a Guild D-50. It's about 20+ years old, very nice warm sound to it. It has a Martin Thinline under the saddle. It's correctly installed but is very thin sounding.

So far I've tried miking it with a Rode NT-1 and an AKG c1000s, both yielded results that were thin and sterile sounding. I've played around with positioning the mics extensively. I've also played with the combination of mic and the pickup, just doesn't cut it though.

I've ordered the Marshall MXL603 mic and will be looking into the Acoustic Lens pickup if that doesn't do the trick. Once I get the sound I'm looking for I'll be all set because most of my acoustic songs have a similar "signature" feel to them.

THANKS for asking!
Regards, Andrew

Hi ALL!

I really appreciate anyone who has taken the time to answer me about this.

I finally got the Marshall MXL603 mic. I also am getting an AT 4033 any day. I'll let you know if I am able to get a better sound using these two mics.

I'm still poking around for a used Acoustic Lens pickup, I'll keep you posted when I get this. I am determined to get a great acoustic guitar sound. When I do this I'll surely share my success with you all. Again, thanks!

Best Regards,
Andrew

Back