Neil Young to "restore the soul of music"

There is nothing that that player offers that you can't already do for a lot cheaper. Add also that a ton of popular music has been mastered and engineered for decades to sound best through little systems and on FM car radios I can't really see where this meant to be going. Audiophiles already have their preferred listening environment down.

I know people who got demo-ed the Pono system last year -including non-audiophiles - who could definitely hear the difference - in a pro music studio environment with a very expensive playback system.
For 'the rest of the world' it doesn't make sense, but for those with that kind of a high-end listening environment, they are ecstatic about this, enough so that the Kickstarter campaign has already exceeded $800,000. The Pono player will have a 128G memory, and have replaceable cards - that's enough for about 48 hours of music at 192/24.

There was an article (referenced on one of the threads) talking about sound quality of analog recordings that stated most records cut on vinyl was at its best around 12 bit and more likely around 8 bit. Anyone remember that reference?

I think I read the same thing. I vaguely remember some snr bid depth comparison about cassette tapes and professional r2r decks too.
Looked for it a while back with no luck.

There was an article (referenced on one of the threads) talking about sound quality of analog recordings that stated most records cut on vinyl was at its best around 12 bit and more likely around 8 bit. Anyone remember that reference?

No need to speculate. Records cut on vinyl are exactly 0 bit.

Having said that, the apple I had this morning tasted around 12% like and orange. Or was it 8% like a pear?

Yeah, there's no way this thing takes off. Even if this ugly device that looks like it's from the 80's does play hi-resolution stuff, no one will be using nice enough cans to tell a difference.

And Neil just needs to retire already...

Worst. Name. Ever.

I've already bought some stuff twice - LP, then CD. Not buying it a third time - even assuming that the source material is capable of producing "better than CD" quality and someone goes and remasters it all.

I'd be willing to bet that after 50 years of playing live music, Neil Young can't hear anything better than anyone. I don't think this is anything more than Neil trying to tap into the wallets of his nostalgic vinyl generation and young hipsters that have never actually heard a record anyway.

It's Neil and thirty-something other very respectable music makers endorsing the product. TBone Burnett. Elvis Costello. I mean, Sting and Springsteen might make mistakes. Charlie Musselwhite might be desperate. But Elton John? He doesn't need Neil Young. Emmylou? She's country; she tells the truth. A lot of those people typically tell some kind of truth. Rick Rubin, furphuxache. So why would they do that if they knew that they'd look like fools in a short space of time? You don't get that many quality people turning themselves into clowns all at the same time usually. At least, when it happens, somebody's usually giggling. They were serious.

I agree with the wonderfully named Monty Montgomery in this link that it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Where are folks meant to get the music from in the first place to put on the Pono? If it's meant to sound "better than CDs", then you surely can't use your CDs as the source for uploading. Presumably you'd have to buy everyone's back catalogue yet again in another format to get any benefit... ???

Yup. Or make your own. I will if you will.

Mostly been said but I don't see a substantial percentage of people re-buying their entire music collection for this reason.
I'm not exactly cutting edge, but is streaming not the future anyway?

I wonder who told him to make it a stupid triangly shape. That's going to work well in your pocket.

They didn't design it for pockets. They designed it for maximum tabletop visibility. They didn't design it to be svelte and invisible.

It's Neil and thirty-something other very respectable music makers endorsing the product. TBone Burnett. Elvis Costello. I mean, Sting and Springsteen might make mistakes. Charlie Musselwhite might be desperate. But Elton John? He doesn't need Neil Young. Emmylou? She's country; she tells the truth. A lot of those people typically tell some kind of truth. Rick Rubin, furphuxache. So why would they do that if they knew that they'd look like fools in a short space of time? You don't get that many quality people turning themselves into clowns all at the same time usually. At least, when it happens, somebody's usually giggling. They were serious.
Lol. You're buying into it.

Back