neil young cover....

toobalicious

heya. trying to get into reaper--- going to use it for backing tracks for a weekly i just got. they want covers, naturally. the idea is self-explanatory: going to take the laptop and mute guitar (me) and keyboard (the other guy) parts and play those parts and the lead vocals live. most probably, our audience will be as interested in their beers and bar women as what we are playing. reaper is attractive not only for its price, but also because it is quite functional even on my aging lappy.

i know the vocals are rough, but i do not normally consider myself a "lead" vocalist. all instruments and vocals are by me with no midi, and you can tell at times. tempo was set with a click track, but it is hard for me to stay 100% locked sometimes. our intention is to try and play more of the B-side kind of stuff, staying away from the super over-played stuff like mustang sally or brickhouse---- you know what i am talking about.

anyway, please critique the mix, and try to keep in mind that it will be broadcast via a pair of mackie srm450's with no sub in a large-ish sportsbar sort of place with hardwood floors. it isnt cavernous, but it is a pretty live room without a bunch of customers.

also, is it way too cheesy to use a count off for each track? seems like it is going to be a necessity, but it sure makes the music sound canned (which it is).

http://www.mediafire.com/?pcmiobwm90o

thanks,
a

The mix is really good - everything balanced/panned pretty nicely. Good performance too - your vocals are pretty Neil-ish....:cool:
I'd say yes use an intro click on the live stuff, cheesy as it sounds it will sync things up on the intros...:)

The mix is really good - everything balanced/panned pretty nicely. Good performance too - your vocals are pretty Neil-ish....:cool:
I'd say yes use an intro click on the live stuff, cheesy as it sounds it will sync things up on the intros...:)

heya, thanks for the kind words. this is sort of a new thing for me--- i am used to (and more comfortable with) performing either with a band or by my lonesome (with no backing tracks). there is something a bit unsettling about being locked into an arrangement/tempo. then again, there is more stuff to hide behind, lol.

thanks for listening.
a

Back