Negative review of the 1600

RyanEmerson

The BOSS BR-1600, has anyone heard any negatives about it? I'm leaning towards it, as I want to upgrade from my 1180.

BOSS 1600

I just purchased a 1600 a week or so ago. I am a total newbie, but have gone through most of the stuff in the last week...MANY late late nights. I generally like it, but it has a few annoying 'features'. The 'mark' names don't appear in a lot of screens where it should (track copy, cut, move....drum arrangements etc) The 'mark' NUMBERS do, but not the names...THIS should be fixed. Also, in the screens where you are selecting FROM and END positions, it has this annoying trait of CHANGING the FROM positions if you accidently set the END position to a spot PRIOR to the FROM position. Obviously you shouldn't say OK in this condition, but the fact that it immediately changes the FROM to match the incorrect END is VERY ANNOYING!!! I would prefer an error if you didn't realize you did this, and then selected GO to. This to me is extremely annoying...you have to be REALLY careful when using the jog dial. This whole thing could ge 'helped' if the mark names were included in the screen. Also, if you forget and have to go back to look at the spots to copy etc, you loose what you put into the From/End slots....Has multiple Undo/Redo layers, but unless you Undo or Redo immediately after, it is impossible to remember WHAT you are undoing redoing. Also it is unclear exatly WHAT fetatures are 'undo-able/redo-able'. for example optimizing, or track normalizing....not sure yet..i have to experiment. It would be nice to copy the track NAME when copying or moving a track. Maybe there are arguments NOT to do that. But I would at least like to START with the name it came from, and change it if I like. I don't see a way to COPY portions of a drum or bass loop. This would be helpful. As is, you can copy the whole thing, then delete portions you don't want. Overall I like it, and it records fine. The UI leaves a little to be desired...It gets really old turning that jog dial for everything!

More BR1600CD annoyances

A few more tidbits that BOSS/Roland should fix. When you use the USB connection to back stuff up to the PC, for one, it is incredibly slow, and two, the folders do NOT show the song NAME, just the system assigned song NUMBER. That is ridiculous because you cannot tell what song is what on the pc. When you are mastering, it does not show you the Vtrack NAMES, just the number. If you forget which Vtrack you want, you then have to get out of that screen, go to the Vtrack view, look at the track you want etc. Little things that really irritate. The SCENE settings are hard to use. I often use Scenes to increase/decrease the fader level on a given track, but don't want to change anything else. Lets say you had 3 of these scenes, and have them all set, then you decide that you want to change the EQ on scene 1. So you twiddle and fiddle until you get it right. If you forget to go change the same settings on the other scenes used in the song, the EQ will be off when those scenes are invoked. It is difficult to remember all the things done in a particular scene, and with the limited characters for naming them, it can get you into trouble. The FADER or SCENE option for the scene should NOT affect ALL scenes, it should just affect the scene you are messin with. THAT would help a lot...same for EQ on/off settings. THAT would fix my previous problem too, if you could selectively choose whether a scene invoked new EQ settings or not. I also think you should be able to selectively decide whether a scene affects the master fader or not. I had a sitch the other day where I had a couple scenes to 'bring down' the level gradually on one track near the end of the song. Well, I started fading the MASTER down manually BEFORE that scene was called. As soon as that scene was called, the master volume jumped up to where it was before. Annoying! Scenes are great, but you have to REALLY pay attention to what you are doing. With a few changes, they could REALLY be useful. Still lovin it, but I sure wish these things were changed. Oh...a notepad or something would be good too to keep track of what the heck I'm doin. After the seven thousandth mix, it is sometimes hard to remember! (or could that be my age)

Correction

When I talked about mastering and the Vtrack names, I really meant when you are burning to a CD. You can go through and select the songs you want, but you cannot see the track names.

I've recently purchased the br-1600cd and there are tons of cool features, but there are limitations. They may not be a big deal to some but I think these are areas that Boss should consider improving on the next version:

1. If you like to record all your tracks dry and audition effects in real time during mixing you are limited with the COSM amp modeling. It seems that it can only be applied in real time to one track at a time. If you want to hear two different amp models on two different tracks in real time, I believe you are out of luck (I really hope I could be proven wrong here). I'm used to PC recording where every track can have it's own effects applied individual of other tracks as well as setting up a bus.

2. You can only use 1 reverb type across all tracks. You can control the send level of the individual track to control the amount of reverb for that track but changing the type of reverb is across all tracks.

3. I'd like a few more amp models (yes, I play guitar).

4. Limiting routing

Having said that, the quality of the recording is very good and I love having the drum machine built in. The amp modeling was also a big draw for me so I remain hopeful that they will expand the models and make it an update (yeah right). I cannot give a review for the editing features yet as I haven't gotten that far yet. I enjoy the freedom that the portability allows but I doubt this will completely replace my PC setup.

Read pages 82 & 83 on how to record tracks dry and later insert effects. The COSM effects are taken from the BOSS GT-6 guitar processor, there are only so many amps to model. I have a Fender Cyber-Twin that I'm using to record my band's next CD.

This thing sucks

I am the type of artist that when he gets in that mood, and/or is inspired some how, even drivin with pure emotion...you need to get that laid out on traks as conveniently and quickly as possible. Or if you wake up in the middle of the night with some riff or tune you need laid down rigth then and there. The Boss BR 1600 just can't do that for me. In fact, it's actually impossile. This thing loads like a dinosaur. and has some annoying features that i am angry for buying this.

This is the type of recorder I would buy to make your master cd of any songs. I have for a number of years relied of the Fostex MR-8 for all my "ideas" and even full fledged demos. I can later pay someone to master the audio quality, or buy an expensive high class digi and do it myself. Making a great song is the most important thing of all. For me, the best ideas for always came out of no where, spontaneously. i need a recorder that can fly along there with me....wherever i go. The MR-8 is perfact for that. It uses a flash card. So obviously to produce a demo cd, you need to export via USB to your computer then burn it. Windows Media Player has an excellent future that will master all your wav files into a standard .cda file that any standard, new, and even old cd players can read. I got a great deal on a 512mb flash card with is more than ample enough space to create 6-7 great demos, which you then export and save on your comp or burn with right away.

Oh yeah, and with the MR-8, the name of your song follows you anywhere. Not any of that "song 009" bullshit. I already have a few great drum machines, aside from my recorder, and enough effects proccessor to deal with. Let's face it. If your music is good enough. Record companies, and producers....ect with dig it and take you in with open arms.

I think i will be either getting a full refund on mine, or selling it wherever fir $1000. I know for a fact i will be able to sell it, and sell it for the $1000 price.

Yes i suck at spelling

Well, that's my two cents.

Back