Neeed micing and tuning recomendations

juststartingout

I am new to drums and looking for some advise. My kit has 2-kicks, 7 toms (8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16), 1 snare, 1 hihat, 2 rides, 2 crash, 1 splash.

First off, I am a guitar player, so I looked at the tuning from a guitarist's perspective and basically tuned the 7 toms (tops and bottoms) to an A minor scale (e(16),f,g,a,b,c,d(8)), the kicks are tuned to A & C and the snare tuned to A. Is this a good approach to tuning?

Next is micing the set for recording. From what I have read, a Beta52 for each kick, a few overheads (sm57s) for the symbols, and an SM57 for the snare. Should I use the small condensor mics for each tom? Should I change any of the other mics? Should I use a compressor on each mic? Anything I missed?

juststartingout said:
a few overheads (sm57s) for the symbols, and an SM57 for the snare. Should I use the small condensor mics for each tom? Should I change any of the other mics? Should I use a compressor on each mic? Anything I missed?

You don't want to use SM57's for the overheads. You would be a lot better off with some type of small diaphragm condeser mic like the Shure SM81 or Oktava MC012, or possibly some large diaphragms that others could recommend. Use the SM57's on the toms. You really don't need one mic per tom. The SM57's have a wide enough pickup patter than you can put one mic between a pair of toms and it will pick them both up quite well. So you would have one between the 8 & 10, and between the 12 & 13, between the 14 & 15, and I guess one separate one on the 16 (which is actually a pretty good idea).

Back