needs help

ikon

i am currently starting to mix instrumentals(beats) and i know i read it on ehere before but i searched and searched and couldnt find the thread i read this...but what are some good places to pann each instrument or at least the basic ones like drums synths cymbals and bass? anyhelp or imput would be great and appreciated...thanx

ikon said:
i am currently starting to mix instrumentals(beats) and i know i read it on ehere before but i searched and searched and couldnt find the thread i read this...but what are some good places to pann each instrument or at least the basic ones like drums synths cymbals and bass? anyhelp or imput would be great and appreciated...thanx

wherever they sound good :)

generally speaking:

kick: center

hats: most of the time center, but then you got all those "auxiliary hats" which you can pan to taste

snare: center. but once again there may be other snares along with the main one (syncopated in the background type stuff.) pan those to taste, or leave center.

cymbals: i'll usually always pan these a little bit. either side, doesnt matter.. just not 100% to a side.

bass: center

synths: wherever they fit.

theres no ""right way" to do this stuff.... its all personal preference. if you want the strings to be 33.4% left, and the piano to be 100% right, do that shit.

but using panning to create space in a mix is a whole different story.

Back