needing ideas

timnmelinda

Setting up for recording, guitar, vocals,midi
First thought about Lexicon Omega but decided different after further study here and elswhere. Now it is between Behringer BCA2000 as my interface or Emu 0404, or MAudio Audiophile 192 (Ok time for comments on these choices)

The next part of this is We have comming in a Behringer Behringer PMH1000 12-Channel Powered Mixer , and Alesis Monitor One MK2 Studio Monitors, what I am trying to figure out is will I have to buy seperate active/powered monitors, plugging into the soundcard/interface or is there a way to work with what I have allready ordered and come back to my mixer and hear low latency clear output?
I do not think it makes much difference but I have still not decided between cubase or PowerTracks

I am anxious to get the rest of what I need ordered so any help is appreciated

an important question needs to be answered or two.
if you go with a stereo input soundcard - will this be sufficient for your future needs - are you sure ? or do you need a multi input soundcard.
also you need to post your pc configuration, and i'll comment whether its powerfull enough.
listing whats in your pci slots is usefull so i can comment whether something might conflict with audio recording.
also with respect powered mixers are not the best quality to record with.
how many mics do you want to record at the same time ?
peace.

I will be honest not sure how many inputs I need we are just getting started with all of this, my daughter has been singing/playing for several years now and wants to expand into recording, It is my pleasure to figure this all out and get it going, she does solo and group stuff both. generally vocals, a drum maching (sometimes midi based input) other midi for musical fill (she is a good pianist and guitar player as well as an outstanding vocalist)
As I am not wealthy I want to make purchases to cover growth when I can, I would rather give her overkill that I can afford than setting her up too basic to few inputs and have to run right out and do it again, at the same time I realize some things can be economically upgraded as time passes.

Pc wise I am a fairly competent computer geek, Have been building pcs for quite a while, I am thinking in terms of AMP I would prefer 64 bit but alas all of the other things I am buying now It will prob be xp2800 or 3000
I am trying to keep pci slots bare except for music/recording required items
Planning 2 hds one for software and opsys (xp or xp pro) and one for music files, 1 gig ram, any input suggestions are appreciated, from things I have studied here and elswhere I think (hope) I am on track an unimportant subnote I am trying to create a studio for her as a Christmas present, And allthough I have no musical talents I am having a great deal of fun learning and studying all of this! If you need more info please let me know!
And Thank You

the regular athlons should do fine. even an amd sempron should do
40 tracks. its good you know computers.
heres my suggestion. yamaha mg mixer(cheap/good). i like mics by cad and beyer. look at a cad gxl mic sometime. and a delta pci sound card.
its proven. as your a comp geek that helps. keep your pci slots free of fancy pci cards like tuners, gamers , networks etc. 512 ram.
as she is so into midi stuff get her to check out band in a box sometime. a bit pricey. but highly addictive.
if you got more Q's just ask. also dont stint on the athlon power supply , many do - then blame the athlon.
overspec the power.
peace.

Powered mixers are generally used for live applications, and I'm curious as to why you picked that particular model. That said, you do not need active monitors, since the mixer in question is designed to run passive speakers. I was just looking at the specs on that mixer and it doesn't seem to have phantom power, so if you want to use condendor mics, you'll need a seperate pre-amp or phantom power supply. I'm also not clear on if it has inserts for each mic channel.

atures:

Super-compact 2 x 300-Watt (600 Watts bridged mode) stereo powered mixer
Revolutionary COOLAUDIO Amplifier Technology: Enormous power, incredible sonic performance and super-light weight
Ultra-compact dimensions at nearly half the weight of conventional powered mixers means no more lugging around dead weight
12-channel mixer section comprised of 4 mono and 4 stereo channels, 2 additional stereo inputs plus separate tape returns
Integrated 24-bit stereo FX processor with 99 outstanding VIRTUALIZER presets including reverb, delay, chorus, flanger and more
Revolutionary FBQ Feedback Detection System instantly reveals critical frequencies for easy feedback removal
6 high-quality mic preamps (4 IMP ?Invisible? Mic Preamps) with switchable +48 V phantom power for condenser microphones
Effective, extremely musical 3-band EQ, switchable low cut filter and clip LEDs on all mono channels
Stereo 7-band graphic EQ allows precise frequency correction of monitor or main outputs
Voice Canceller function removes singer?s voice from recordings for Karaoke applications
Selectable stereo (main L/R), double mono (main/monitor) or bridged mono amplifier operation mode
Standby switch mutes all mic channels during breaks while background music is provided via tape inputs
Breathtaking XPQ 3D stereo surround effect for more vitality and enhanced stereo image
Adjustable stereo CD/tape input for connecting external signal sources
Multi-functional stereo preamp outputs for added flexibility

As previously stated I am on a budget trying to get the most best I can on limited dollars so for the moment she will use mixer she has for live work (later instead of switching back and fourth we can get her a non powered mixer for studio recording work (if the interest in recording pans out like I hope it will) as per the above mentioned specs 4 mic with 48 volt switchable phantom power

Manning, and Mad, I appreciate any and all input, thank you both
I still am not sure if there is an accurate way to output from the soundcard input to the mixer and output through the passive monitors with accuracy wanted to be effective monitors or do I need to get powered monitors and come direct from soundcard/interface.

Manning I know you mentioned Delta cards neither of you commented on the cards or interfaces I mentioned in my first post, and Manning you did not say which delta card you thought may be of interest in my situation
Tim

Back