Needing Feedback.

sixways

I've been working on this tune (mixing wise) for over 2 weeks...it sounds rather flat to me as it stands right now. I haven't got vocals for it yet, perhaps that would round it out.

Please, please, critique, criticize, compliment, comment...I'm really excited about this being my first Protools project to see near completion...I just don't know if my mix is bad or if the lack of mastering is the problem (or maybe the tune just stinks).

Its a total of 3:30, please make sure you get to the bridge which is around 2:40 or so as its a pretty drastic change.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=3189

Thanks,

Listening while typing.....the piano riff at the beginning is nice but gets a bit repetitive later on. The snare is definitely too snappy for me - and it's all I can hear in the drum set. Needs some more fullness to the snare (mids/bass?? not sure). Guitar solo has a good tone/sustain to it...Piano after solo is very tasty.....Overall this is a good start, maybe you're right - it needs some vocals to pull it together....

Ok, I normally do not frequent this forum, actually this is my first visit here. But since six is paying me for my opinion I felt obligated to give it ;) ...

I don't have any real complaints about the tracking and mix thus far. Yeah the snare is sharp and bright, but that may be good for the final mix (or it might not). The problem is the thing is indeed "incomplete", IMHO. When painting, it's hard to judge if one has the leg shaped and sized right unless or until one has an idea of what the rest of the body is supposed to look like.

I concur that there are tracks missing, either vocals or a lead instrument or instruments. Vocals would be the most obvious and perhaps best, but of course those would require lyrics and a vocalist. The point to me, though, is that, with the exception of the bridge and finale guitar, the rest of the arrangement is just chord changes and rhythm. There is no melody or plot.

But the mix is clean and balanced so far. As far as the tone of the individual tracks, about the only comment I have is that the cymbals are just a bit on the grainy or wobbly side to me. At one point - I forget where - one of the crashes almost sounded like it was affected by tape flutter. Now I know this is PT, so that's not actually that case, of course :) It's not a super big deal, just a fine point that maybe could use some fine sanding beofre the final coat of mastering is applied.

Other than that, I'd prefer to hold off on commenting on the rest of the sonics until further tracks (if any) are laid in, since that will affect the equation more than anything else. But, yeah, it's a good start with no really glaring flaws yet, IMHO. The git at the end is particularly nice.

G.

Last edited:
I think it's quite tricky to mix on an "unfinished" recording... if you still have vocals to add then it's best to wait until you have them before mixing!

I say this because, with vocals you will probably change quite alot of things during the mixing process and will ultimately have just wasted some time... it's a pretty nice mix though - I agree about the snare, it's a bit too sharp for the song - and with vocals it is very repetitive...

Get some vox in there and we'll be cooking with gas ! :)

Ok, thanks guys. I will begin working on the vocals soon, I was just curious if I had a decent foundation. It begins to drag in the "verse" due to the lack of vocals, I sense that as well.

The crack on the snare, I would imagine that would be a cut somewhere in the mid's, will also work with that.

Thanks guys,

Back