Needed : Mic To Fit Male Singer

shAkEz_gk

I'm looking to buy a mic, that will suit a male singer, who has a voice VERY close to Avant's...they sound almost identical.

Price range?
$1,000 or less.

male voice

EV RE 20 is a miracle worker. It is all in the gain and focus that the mic provides with a proper preamp. Amazingly tuneable in the mix, rounded and full fleshed tone with clarity. And swift as a whip to setup- no pop trouble, gives live drama to the singer as he can lip the screen similar to live performance. Offering relaxed stance during the session provides that "good take" by virtue of not having to demand the singer concentrate on his or her positionaries as with a flown and sensitive to overload condensor. bswusa.com sell them for $399.00. Smokin mic comparable to top end condensors, without all the position trickiness and delicate handling problems.

Here man, I took a minute to upload a song done by Avant, so these guys can understand the type of voice a little better.
This one is called "Wanna Be Close".

Avant is an R&B artist, btw.

Shakez, I believe I know the guy your talking about, if he is indeed the one you introduced me to, he really does sound exactly like Avant.

A Soundelux U195 with an Avalon 737SP pre wouldn't be too bad of a choice, and I know you have that pre in your set-up.

Here's the link to the song.
www.soundclick.com/aonsamples

Thanks all or nothin.
Man ive come to the conclusion that the dudes on here only do rock music and can pop out with what equipment to buy based on what they want you to have but ask them if a mic will fit a certian voice and every one is clueless.

shAkEz_gk said:
Thanks all or nothin.
Man ive come to the conclusion that the dudes on here only do rock music and can pop out with what equipment to buy based on what they want you to have but ask them if a mic will fit a certian voice and every one is clueless.
I guess it has a lot more to do with the skill level of the user and his ears. If the engineer knows his room and his rig, the rest is half finished. Pulling out your distain for the lact of pointed, exactness to your quiry is sign of not wanting to solve the problem, but wanting a quick fix, some sort of magic lamp that does not exist. I could get that track you are looking for with a chinese LC and a joe meek tube channel strip, but that's just me. I spent the time searching your Avant example and gave you my fix from my decades of experience. You can take it or leave, but don't insult intelligents itself by ditching those actually honoring your request at post.

Last edited:
OR

You could come off your high horse, and stop acting so fucking stuck up, and realized the man asked what mic would fit the singers voice, not "hey muthafucka, I need a quick fix and a magic button".
But you'd know that if you took a minute to look at the screen, and read, assuming you can without your vision being blocked, with that giant head of yours.

AllOrNothinEnt said:
OR

You could come off your high horse, and stop acting so fucking stuck up, and realized the man asked what mic would fit the singers voice, not "hey muthafucka, I need a quick fix and a magic button".
But you'd know that if you took a minute to look at the screen, and read, assuming you can without your vision being blocked, with that giant head of yours.
am I allowed one bad hangerover..please? My appologies for coming off as combative.

lexdrummer said:
EV RE 20 is a miracle worker. It is all in the gain and focus that the mic provides with a proper preamp. Amazingly tuneable in the mix, rounded and full fleshed tone with clarity. And swift as a whip to setup- no pop trouble, gives live drama to the singer as he can lip the screen similar to live performance. Offering relaxed stance during the session provides that "good take" by virtue of not having to demand the singer concentrate on his or her positionaries as with a flown and sensitive to overload condensor. bswusa.com sell them for $399.00. Smokin mic comparable to top end condensors, without all the position trickiness and delicate handling problems.

Agreed with the EV RE20 (the EV PL20 is the same exact mic) - it's an incredible mic. If you've listened to any of the first three Boston albums, you'll hear the RE20/PL20. It's the only mic used by Brad Delp (and all his backup harmonies) on the records.

Back