Need your help! - Audio out of sync when mixing

solo.guitar

Sorry, posted this in the wrong forum before on accident.

I have 2 tracks.

Both are 16-bit/44.1

The first is a MIDI track that was run through a VSTi and rendered as a 16-bit/44.1 stereo WAV file.

The second is something I recorded over the first, and it is also 16-bit/44.1, but it is mono. (I even tried recording it in stereo and I still had a problem).

When I play back the audio, they are out of sync. They start off okay, but after several seconds they become out of sync. The second track plays faster than the first.

I am using Adobe Audition 1.5's multi track. I even tried it in Reaper, and I still have problems.

I have ASIO4All installed. I've had it for awhile but never had this problem.

I even tried upsampling then downsampling again just to see if that would work, but it didn't.

What gives?

haha didnt ya post twice on the wrong forum?? You programmed the midi to a metronome right? Are you sure the BPM is the same in the project you imported the rendered midi as the one you wrote it in? Basic I know, but itd mess thinsg up alright.

TelePaul said:
haha didnt ya post twice on the wrong forum?? You programmed the midi to a metronome right? Are you sure the BPM is the same in the project you imported the rendered midi as the one you wrote it in? Basic I know, but itd mess thinsg up alright.

Yes, all MIDI is the same BPM (70bpm), and it plays back at 70bpm. I even added a click track to make sure.

It's wierd because the 2 files I have, the MIDI, and my recording, are both exactly the same length, my timing is fine, but mine still plays faster than the other.

I even uninstalled/reinstalled my soundcard drivers & ASIO4All, and it's not working.

I right-clicked them to look at the WAV file properties and their both the same bitrate, sample rate, and PCM format.

WTF :confused:

If you're reporting the problem correctly, and I have no reason to suspect you're not, then I'm stumped too.

It doesn't seem possible that if both files are the same length one plays faster than the other. Unless you mean something else than I mean by the term 'faster'...

:confused: :confused: :confused:

I'm stumped too. This has happened to me before with different bitrates, but never with the same length, bitrate, etc.

I'm thinking of just reformatting and reinstalling Windows. :mad:

did ya try cut a new guitar track? Just in case it was.....you know, an anomaly? Whats the midi track? I noticed yesterday I had some retarded GM smaples that were prone to extreme latency.

The MIDI is just a piano track. But I ran it through a VSTi and rendered as WAV. I then recorded over that WAV and that's where I'm having problems.

I think I may just reformat. :(

It's a good solution if you have no idea what the fuck is going on. :confused:

70 bpm is 70 bpm no matter the source. So you rendered your midi piano to .wav and then recorded OVER it? Why not try keeping it as it's own track and record another IN ADDITION to it, with a metronome to keep time? Your problem has to be something small and simple, like a short section of track may have accidentally been set to play at 74 bpm for like, 2 seconds, then it goes back to 70. Look at all the little things before you go make a project out of reinstalling all your software. I really doubt reinstalling windows will cure the problem.

Zed10R said:
Why not try keeping it as it's own track and record another IN ADDITION to it

That's what I did...They are both on seperate tracks...but I used the first one to record with to keep time. I don't use metronomes.

But when I played them both back, they were out of sync.

Your problem has to be something small and simple, like a short section of track may have accidentally been set to play at 74 bpm for like, 2 seconds, then it goes back to 70.

No, the BPM is constant. I just loaded a .MIDI file and rendered it through a VSTi.

The only thing that changes in the MIDI file is the time signature. A few times throughout the song, the time signature changes to 6/4 for a measure, then goes back to 4/4.

But I don't see why this would matter? They are both .WAV files.

I have heard other people talk about this issue and the most we came up with after a heated debate was that the software rendered the wave files with a slightly off time sig.
(not a common thing when rendering waves, more common when rendering MP3's)

Why not try keeping the track midi and aligning it with the wave, most production softwares allow for this?

Out of curiousity, what are your sytem stats? Athlon or Pentuim....etc.

The reason I rendered as a WAV first was because my system isn't that great and running through a VSTi while recording a track is rough on the CPU.

The VSTi is Steinberg The Grand 2 which takes up a lot of CPU/memory.

My computer is about 5 or 6 years old...

AMD Athlon 1.2 GHz
512 MB DDR PC 2700 RAM
80 GB hard drive 7200 RPM
etc...

We are pretty much in the same boat as far as cpu(s) go in which case I don't believe re-installing any software is going to help.
I'll tell you what I've had to do in similar cases,

Does Audition allow for cutting and splicing via time sig?

What I've had to do is use Sonar's grid and time sig capabilities to cut and move the events in a wave file.
In other words, I align track one to the grid based on time signature.
After I have done that I align the second track at the beginning.
I simply follow the track with the grid to see where goes out of alignment, beat by beat.
I know this is tedious but well worth the effort in my opinion. As I follow and find deviations I cut and move events to snap to grid. On average, it takes me about one hour to go through about 5 mins of music.
it's a work around I know but.....

Maybe we just need to upgrade our machines.

Well I tried one more time and it worked.

I enabled the "Correct drift in recordings" option in Audition. I don't know if that's why it worked or because of all the uninstalling/reinstalling of shit on my computer. Or a combination of both.

Maybe we just need to upgrade our machines.

I'd have to agree.

Anyway, thanks for the help, I can finally finish recording this song now.

:cool:

Back