need to upgrade

eclips1

I have 2 senarios for upgrading my studio and I could use some advise. I currently run Vegas and wavelab w/ a delta 1010 on my pc, pentium 3 500mghz processor(3 yrs old).

Option 1) a newer more powerful pc running the same programs.
or
Option 2) Protools 4.2 w/ an 882 20 io on a power mac g3. 8.5 Os. A freind of mine is selling this for 1500$.

If I go with option 2 I figure I can always upgrade protools software and also eventually get a more powerful mac.

any input or dialog on this would be greatly appreciated.

I'd stick with a pc and consider nuendo 2.0. If you want to upgrade everything, it might hit you initially a little harder than what your friend is selling his setup for but

a) you can upgrade things a little at a time with a pc (a little easier than with mac)
b) You're not locked into protools gestapo architecture.

Just my two cents, but I think you have a lot more options with pc at this point...

Where's your motherboard at? Are you savvy with computers? If you could upgrade say, your processor and ram... you could be in business. If you needed a new motherboard you could get a bumpin system for about 600-800 if you shop around.

You could email me with any PC questions.
Good luck with your upgrade.

Thanks for the reply Jazz. I'm not too savvy with comps. I wanted to just upgrade my proccesor, but to do so I had to upgrade my motherboard. To upgrade my motherboard I'd have to get a new tower, so basically I need a new PC.

I decided to go with protools. Getting into a TDM system w/ the a farm card and a mix card for 1500$ I think is too good of a deal to pass up. I checked and just for the mix and farm cards alone I'd pay around 5000$. My goal is to work with this for a while, run protools on the mac and Vegas on my PC. Sync the 2 so if I run out of space in protools I can run a good 10-15 tracks w/ fx in Vegas.

Eventually, I'll upgrade to a g4 dual processor w/ 0s x and upgrade this protools 24 system to 6.1.

Back