Need to upgrade my studio monitors. What's the best in the $400-500 range?

chlorinedream

Right now, I have Roland MA8s which are not much better than computer speakers. I need something that will help mix more accurately. Any recommendations in the $400-500 range? I prefer them to be powered.

i hear the Tannoy Reveals are really good - but they're passive.

if you buy passive monitors can you just buy any power amp or do they need to "match" somehow?

thanks

:D Yo Water-purifier:

Well, you can run passive monitors right through a stereo system or an outboard type power source amp.

I use an integrated Yam amp--it runs cassette decks, CD, two sets of speakers/monitors are one set and the other set is commercial hi/fi Infinitys.

I sold my Yorkvilles and got a pair of KRK ST8 passives; they also make actives but, as mentioned, higher price. The passives ran around 200 plus shipping or, if you can get it, maybe, free shipping?

Maybe you should auditions some monitors and power set-ups?

Green Hornet :cool: :D

Look at a pair of used Event 20/20 bas. Great active monitors that should be in your range used.

You should go to a music store near you that sells nearfield monitors and figure out which sounds best to you, afterall it's your ears that will be using them. Bring yourself a copy of Dark Side of the Moon to compare them with.

Back