Need to Re-route cabling, snakes etc Help

malcolm123

Hello all,
I am finally in the new facility but just recently came to the conclusion that the monitor console I am using in the practice room is just fine for the P/A and house but the sends on it must be bad or something. This is mainly because I can only get a good signal from a couple of sources. So I am planning on re-routing the cabling scheme and use my Mackie mixer instead.

My current scheme is all Drums miced to monitor console via XLR, Guitars miced on cabs to monitor XLR ins, Bass line/in to monitor console via preamp as well as keyboards.

Then I run a snake from the practice room monitor mixer's sends to the DM24 all via XLR.

Now if I use the Mackie, I can run all of the source inputs in the same as the bad monitor mixer but all of the inserts on the Mackie ate 1/4inch meaning I would have to get a different Snake. Either a 1/4" to 1/4" or 1/4" to XLR male for the DM24. Seeing that I can use either 1/4" inputs or XLR for the DM24.

The is pretty straight forward from my perspective, but if you can think of any other solutions I would appreciate it before I go out spending more money.

so my chain would look like this I guess Source> Xlr or 1/4" out > Xlr or 1/4" (in on the Mackie ) > 1/4" from the mackie's inserts out > 1/4" to (1/4" or Xlr Male) to the DM24's input 1/4" or XLR?

Thanks

Malcolm

How long is the cable run from the Mackie to the DM24? If it's more than about 10 feet, you're going to be in serious trouble unless you balance the signals you're taking from the Mackie's inserts.

DonF said:
How long is the cable run from the Mackie to the DM24? If it's more than about 10 feet, you're going to be in serious trouble unless you balance the signals you're taking from the Mackie's inserts.

It's about 30 or 50 feet maybe.

I also once had trouble with the Mackie inserts when using a Delta 10/10 I have. The cable runs were short ( under 4 feet ) but I had to insert the 1/4" half way to get rid of the loopback echo.

explain a little deeper for me. I have been doing this for a while but not with long snakes and mixer to mixer setups before.

Thanks

Inserting a 1/4" TS plug halfway into the insert jack is one correct way to get a direct output from a Mackie (or similar) board.
These inserts can be used as pre-fader direct outs, using an unbalanced (TS) 1/4" plug in these two ways: (1) Plugs are inserted just to the FIRST click. There is no interruption of the signal; OR (2) Plugs are inserted all the way into to the SECOND click. This interrupts the signal and routes it ONLY to the device you're sending to." --from a Mackie owners' manual
(The other correct way would be to build or buy a cable made specifically for this purpose.)

Regarding the long cable runs, since the insert points are unbalanced, you are very likely to experience hum and crosstalk. I would consider using direct boxes to balance the signals before sending them on to the DM24. You can get multi-way rackmount direct boxes (see for example http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--RLLRDB104) to reduce the number of separate devices you'll need.

Don

Thanks Man !!

Looks like I need to do some research. I want to make sure I get what I need before purchasing. I learned that lesson a long time ago. Well one of the band members is actually a sound man, thats were I get the P/A and monitor mixer from as well as the snakes and stuff. He knows nothing about studio equipment though. I will look for devices. I never liked the half way plugin mode.

DonF said:
Inserting a 1/4" TS plug halfway into the insert jack is one correct way to get a direct output from a Mackie (or similar) board.(The other correct way would be to build or buy a cable made specifically for this purpose.)

Regarding the long cable runs, since the insert points are unbalanced, you are very likely to experience hum and crosstalk. I would consider using direct boxes to balance the signals before sending them on to the DM24. You can get multi-way rackmount direct boxes (see for example http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--RLLRDB104) to reduce the number of separate devices you'll need.

Don

Instead of inserting to the first click you can just wire unbalanced to the tip and sleeve of a TRS jack (i.e. connect them together).

I've sucessfully had longer runs - up to about 10 metres - unbalanced with no major issues, but it depends on your environment. Lots of RF or other rubbish will cause problems. You can balance up a signal using one dual op-amp (like a TL072) for each channel.

Back