Need To Isolate Speaker Cab - Bedroom

MoBettaBlues

I have a 2x12 guitar amp cabinet that I need to isolate enough to be able to crank it to get the tone I want without going def in my bedroom studio.

I use 2 mics to record it and I've heard of others that put it in a closet or build a baffle system with baffle boards and packing blankets.

I would appreciate advice.

Thanks.

You might want to check out a Palmer PGA-04. This unit will allow you to get the "amp" sound you want to get while enabling you to run the output signal directly into your record while also providing a proper load for your amplifier so you don't blow the output transformer.

Other than that... something like a THD "Hotplate" can do wonders for allowing you to achieve the tone you want without creating a volume that will disturb your neighbors/etc.

Best of luck with it!!

Thanks guys. However, I am using a THD Hotplate. It's still pretty loud though. I read an article about creating a baffle/isolator by using baffle boards in the shape of a V, draping packing blankets and taping to the cab to isolate the sound to prevent bleed through, which isn't an issue for me, and to prevent being abused by long loud sessions.

I'm looking for info on how to isolate a cabinet within the same room as the console.

If I remember correctly you can turn down a hotplate so it functions as an "amp out direct box"... but I could be wrong about that.

When you say isolate.........from what? You want to isolate it from other instruments? Or so that you can monitor the miced cab in the same room?

TravisinFlorida said:
When you say isolate.........from what? You want to isolate it from other instruments? Or so that you can monitor the miced cab in the same room?

So I can monitor the miced cab in the same room.

Probably not likely unless your using some isolation headphones.

Are you simply trying to isolate the volume of the amp within the room? If so, forget it about it. It's not gonna happen without major construction.

Back