Need Sum Help On Sellin Of My Beats..

RelleRell

IGHT!..i kno this probably was asked b4 but i haven't found the direct answer i was seekin soo here goes......

Im a very good amateur producer from philly (yes i considered myself a very good "AMATEUR" producer!!!) and im sellin my beats online.

myspace.com/rellerellproductions (ADD ME...)

I have just started to sell my beats about 7 months ago but stop after 3 months into it. i currently started back up in the past two weeks and now i have a UNSIGNED artist tryin to purchase a beat from me.
.....i somewhat understand the the process of sellin beats like royalties and licensing and publishing...stuff like that!

but after explainin to this artist about all the options on buyin my beats, he replied back that he wanted all exclusive rights, even tho he'll give me credit for the beat....soo i quickly realized that its not right to give ya "rights" away to any artist because they could claim it as they own and i wont get any credit for the beat at all...
this is my first client who wants to buy a beat from me(even tho he doesn't kno it) soo what should i do??...

1.give him the rights and possibly get no credit for the beat?
2.keep the rights and lose my first client if he dont want me to keep them?
3.or firgure out some way for him to almost "share" the rights with me but i keep majority of them??????????? :confused::confused::confused:

Keep your copyrights and give only EXCLUSIVE right to use the beat.

Also, remember if you do a custom beat where the artist tells you what to play and how he wants it, it's a WORK FOR HIRE. In this case you can't copyright it yourself. But, you can sell it as exclusive or charge by the hour for making the beat in the studio. Also, if you give input and ideas, it can be a 50-50 split.

Here is a good thred:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=232130&highlight=exclusive+rights

Last edited:
nice reply Beats..

you can tell them you will give them the exclusive rights to use your beats as long as your get production credit, publishing and/or royalties (if they are semi big indie or major) ..with your publishing shoot for a 50/50 split (your music/ his lyrics) if ya'll cant agree to that then try to agree apon a percentage that will workout for both of you..(dont go below 30% -thats my motto anyway)..that way you still have your right to your music..

to be a little real for a minute... You aren't gonna sell a million copies. Get what money you can from the guy and be done with it. If it makes you feel better draft up a note that says you still hold all rights to the beat and that should be good.

to be a little real for a minute... You aren't gonna sell a million copies. Get what money you can from the guy and be done with it. If it makes you feel better draft up a note that says you still hold all rights to the beat and that should be good.

tru dat! Da boy be trippin' if he tinks he score wads in dis day.Wurd!

Keep your copyrights and give only EXCLUSIVE right to use the beat.

Also, remember if you do a custom beat where the artist tells you what to play and how he wants it, it's a WORK FOR HIRE. In this case you can't copyright it yourself. But, you can sell it as exclusive or charge by the hour for making the beat in the studio. Also, if you give input and ideas, it can be a 50-50 split.

Here is a good thred:

homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=232130&highlight=exclusive+rights

YES! NICE REPLY....THANX BEATS!
now i understand non-exclusive, excusive right, and exclusive rights "to use"...and also i seen the part about licening and leasing! THATS A GOOD THREAD!

but i got anotha question: this artist i hope to sell the beat to, is not a big name artist in philly, but he'll be the first rapper to buy sumn from me...soo should i just accept any amount for the beat(possibly let me use it for free) even tho he might want a HOT BEAT from me...or let him just lease the beat and mayb sell it to sum1 thats more well known for a much bigger price????????????

No artist whats to lease a beat..that want to be the only artist using the beat..to me leasing a beat is just a scam for beat makers to make as much money as they can from starving artist tryin to create a buzz..if they are serious about making it.

you can take their offer or agree to amout that is good for you and not breakin them..or you can do it fro free on a 50/50% split... its all up to you on what you are willin to agree to and what you feel is reasonable for your work..

I agree. Most of the artists that I've ever dealt with look down on leasing. Most folks that I've known who lease are usually other beatmakers trying to learn off the beats they're hearing, but usually they're taking their samples and running with that.

Back