Need suggestions on setting up signal chain.

Innovations

Small mono radio station running off of a Panasonic MG24/14fx

Current outputs from the board are connected as follows.

Mono Out->Main Transmitter
Stereo Out->MD Decks.
ST Sub Out->Logging System (computer that records everything broadcast)
Group 2 Out->Codec to repeater transmitter.
Rec Out->Headphone mixer.

I have been asked to add an Alexis 3630 Dual channel compressor to this setup. I believe that they would like all of the above outputs to have their signal be processed by the compressor. How would I do this?

Please don't use that compressor. A much better compressor for that application would be the RNC, made by a company called FMR Audio.

http://www.fmraudio.com/

I'm not sure about that board, but what you would probably need to do is buss the signal to the compressor, then return the compressor to a channel strip and then send that to all the various outputs. So you'd assign the audio tracks to buss 1&2 for example (no signal sent to the main mix buss at this point). Buss 1&2 would be sent to the FMR RNC, then returned to another couple channels on the mixer. Those channels would then be assigned to the main mix buss, which would be sent to all the outputs.

The Compellor 320A is a great suggestion, and is designed for exactly what you are doing. Used 320A's (the most recent version, which is the one you want) run between about $300-500 on eBay.

Not much comes up in a search on levelers, so what is the benefit of using one over a compressor?

I took a look at the RNC and RNLA, and they seem to have similar functionalty, so I am curious what the difference is.

I am looking to control the level of the stereo output of my mixes going from DTRS->mixing console to laptop at mixdown, since right now I have to record the stereo mix low enough to prevent the highest peeks from clipping. Thus, soft parts end up too soft, and compression can get noisey in the box during "mastering" (to use the term loosely :))

Sorry, but the compressor is already owned by the station. The only question I am facing is how to get it into the signal chain.

I realized that I made an error in my original post. The board is a Yamaha, not a Panasonic.

Here is an image of the outputs section of the back panel

Attachments

• MG32_14FXRear.jpg
    MG32_14FXRear.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 40
Innovations said:
The only question I am facing is how to get it into the signal chain.

SonicAlbert said:
I'm not sure about that board, but what you would probably need to do is buss the signal to the compressor, then return the compressor to a channel strip and then send that to all the various outputs. So you'd assign the audio tracks to buss 1&2 for example (no signal sent to the main mix buss at this point). Buss 1&2 would be sent to the FMR RNC, then returned to another couple channels on the mixer. Those channels would then be assigned to the main mix buss, which would be sent to all the outputs.

already answered

Back