Need suggestions on a mac

godsmack_freak

I am currently setting up a small home studio. Nothing fancy,just something to record song ideas/demos. At the moment I only have one pc of my own and am using an Audiophile 2496 soundcard. It is working out ok,but this pc is also the sever for the family broadband connection, and it tends to drag the system down, and I can only use it for recording at certain times. Anyway,I have been thinking about geting a mac to do my recording. It will probably only be used for recording and maybe interent once in a while. What would be the minimum I would need as far a a mac goes? What's the lowest mhz I should consider? I don't want to spend a whole lot for it but want it to be as good as possible. I have been looking at used macs on ebay. The only thing I've seen in my price range have been some G3's in the 300-400mhz range and I've seen a few G4's in the 400-450mhz range. Would these be fast enough,or would I just be wasting my time? I will probably only be recording 1 or 2 tracks at a time using cakewalk pro audio. Also,what would be the minimum I would need as far as ram goes? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

godsmack_freak said:
I will probably only be recording 1 or 2 tracks at a time using cakewalk pro audio. Also,what would be the minimum I would need as far as ram goes? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ummm, you do realize that Pro Audio does not exist for the Mac, right?

Re: Re: Need suggestions on a mac

brzilian said:

Ummm, you do realize that Pro Audio does not exist for the Mac, right?

WHAAAAAT?

Pro audio started on macs. I am a big PC fan but that statement is nothing short of ludicrous.

Heres a cheap way to start recording on a mac, with 'PRO' tools and focusrite preamps no less. The mac G4 or G3 would work fine, don't be discouraged.

Mbox

Back