Need Stero recording adevice :D

dkxyrhe

You can see i used a spaced pair of Oktava's mk012 and i really dont know how far the mics should be from the guitar...
Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't recommend spacing them that far apart personally, I prefer using a stereo bar and having them closer together, something like the rode stereo bar or k&m would do, this is more of a preference thing. When you use a stereo bar it becomes a lot easier to get AB, XY and ORTF which all sound different, giving you more options, not only that it only uses 1 mic stand instead of 2.

I'd use a vertical XY for a few reasons in this case.

That said -- Vertical XY doesn't play well to the camera...

I think you are just a little confused on the concept of stereo miking. Stereo, in the usual scenario, is meant to record the sound stage accurately, so that when replayed, your brain, with your eyes closed can make decisions on the location of the instrument in a space. A guitar is an instrument that has width. A piano or harp even more, and something like a trumpet hardly has anything. Your technique, produces a recording unlike reality - the two microphones favour areas of the guitar with very different sounds, so you hear the guitar tone, with one capturing the sound of the finger board and the other the sound of the right hand plucking and slapping the rings. When panned hard left and right you have a very different guitar sound - which you either like, as maybe an effect, or hate.

It's not really stereo, but two channel. There is width, but the technique makes the guitar pretty huge. Two mics on a bracket with their elements at right angles to each other, very close, produces a popular 'stereo' sound, but as you correctly say, they are close, so the separation between the left and right will be gentle. One still favours the fingers, while the other will favour right hand and the sound hole - making that channel darker, mellower, boomier (insert correct word). Nothing wrong with your technique if you want the slight weirdness that seems to go with the style of playing. Distance impacts on direct sound vs room sound - again, a choice.

There is no 'correct' solution - just the one that works for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cHeNscKZN0tom copy.jpg

Yes...there's a commercial before this clip...but we're used to that....right?

I have that very same set of stereo matched mics...and had good success using them closer together and not quite so far away. Rob said it. You have an unnatural sound here.

This is an example of a more natural tone but even this, in hindsight, has too much space in it. I panned it this way in order to make it sit in a particular place in the stereo field. I would bring them in tighter if I mixed this again.

Last edited:
You know what, I often use 1 mic on acoustic guitar recorded in mono, and thats what I like the most. When I use 2 mics (different mics) they are usually for a sound of the 2 mics blended or for a later choice, mixed to mono. Even in the thread where I talked about using 4 mics to capture a classical guitar in a open room I blended it down to mono.

There is only 1 guitar what is the fascination with stereo (one) guitar? If you want it to sound wide and open you could add a little stereo reverb later.

Alan.

Back