Need some SPACE!!

Docaroo

Helpp mee...

My current mixes are turning out to be very crowded - even with only drums, bas and a guitar - I can't seem to get much clarity out of the instruments!

Does any1 have any EQ/mixing Do's or Don'ts to try to give each instrument its own space without everything amalgamating into mush!

make sure that each instrument is given it's own individual EQ. what i mean is, try not to boost certain frequencies the same way on all of the instruments. roll off the low frequencies on the guitars to avoid it clashing with the bass. and try double-tracking the guitar parts and keeping one panned hard left, and one hard right. that usually adds some space to the sound. and go easy on the reverb! you shouldnt use any on the bass or even on distorted guitar.

thanks dude! will try this stuff tomorrow... i'll see if I can post an mp3 2moro so you can see the problem lol...

Docaroo said:
Helpp mee...

My current mixes are turning out to be very crowded - even with only drums, bas and a guitar - I can't seem to get much clarity out of the instruments!

Does any1 have any EQ/mixing Do's or Don'ts to try to give each instrument its own space without everything amalgamating into mush!
Something that has really helped improve my mixes is to track with no E.Q.
Do a lot of thinking about where and how you want each instument to sit
in the mix.Spend an hour dialing in that guitar amp and experiment a lot
with mic placement.
For me this has simplified the process of mixing and mastering,which I will
be the first to tell you,I am not that great at.One thing I am great at is
being able to hear how I want my tunes to be in my head,and I use that
to my advantage by getting things sounding the way I want them to be-
for I ever get to the mix stage.I find it to be a lot less trouble to get a
good balance between the instuments while tracking as opposed to trying
to get a good sound in the mix from instuments that were poorly tracked.
Also,if you get a chance,check out Blue Bears site and read the article on
subtractive E.Q.ing.

Here's a quote from a guy quoting another guy -

here a quote from Jazar in the UK..........

"When it comes to distance placement (and the other two subtle effects in this article - creating mix room, and auto mix leveling) we are now getting into the realm of subtle equalization that is rarely documented - but yet frequently used - by sound engineers.
You may have tried to create positioning and distance in a mix previously simply by the use of reverb and other room simulation effects. If you've tried this then you've no doubt also discovered that this doesn't really work very well, and your mix ends up a soggy mess.
This is partly because the effect of distance placement in EQ is also closely related to a phenomenon known as "proximity effect" which most directional microphones and the human ear, and even sound dispersion itself - all exhibit as a matter of course. I'm using the term "proximity effect" here in a wider sense than it is normally used. Let me explain further:
When a performer comes close - perhaps even too close - to a microphone (or your ear!), then two things happen. Firstly, the amount of bass frequencies goes sky-high (often called bass tip-up), because there is much less bass "loss" at close range, and - more significantly - the physics of cardioid microphones overemphasizes this effect.
Secondly, the high-frequency content also goes up too - because distance of sound in air tends to absorb high frequencies.
As a sound engineer, you can exploit this phenomenon in your mixes. By unnaturally boosting both the high and low frequencies using the EQ controls in your mixing console, you can create a sound that appears to be much closer than it really is.
However, this proximity effect is overused in many recordings today, leading to mixes that sound too "hi-fi".
Remember, it is also possible to do the complete opposite, and thin instruments out a bit (shelve off some bass and a little off the top end), in order to push them back into the mix and seem smaller and further away.
The real secret of mixing, is in the "light and shade" - contrasting one part against another. By carefully using EQ in the form of subtle high and low balancing - coupled with very short reverb - as a tool for instrument placement, using the illusion of distance, you can make your mixes sound significantly "larger" overall than if you try and make every part simply sound "big" in its own right.
Big only seems "big" because other things seem small - it's easy to forget this in the excitement of mixing."

Not sure where I got the article from but it is a good read.

Cheers

Are you using a lot of close mic'ing technique? I've found that by using a ton of close mics you get an uncontrolable build up of proximity effect. Try recording with less mics and maybe pull them farther away from your source. This will dramatically cut down the 250hz to lows range and you won't get the harmful phase issues related to heavy handed eq'ing that you'd need to do to control all the low build up.

Good luck

Back