Need some input.

:D Yo & Happy Thanksgiving to ALL:

Need some advice. My DVD/CDR/ROM optical reader has died in my Gateway CPU.

I'm thinking to buy a Plextor replacement. Should I rip off the screws on my CPU and try to install the new unit myself? It doesn't look difficult on some net views I've found.

Thought I'd ask for some expertise before I jump into the water.

Is it all screws and plug-ins?

Thanks for the help.

Green Hornet
;)

The Green Hornet said:
:D Yo & Happy Thanksgiving to ALL:

Need some advice. My DVD/CDR/ROM optical reader has died in my Gateway CPU.

I'm thinking to buy a Plextor replacement. Should I rip off the screws on my CPU and try to install the new unit myself? It doesn't look difficult on some net views I've found.

Thought I'd ask for some expertise before I jump into the water.

Is it all screws and plug-ins?

Thanks for the help.

Green Hornet
;)

Yeah, just open the case, unscrew the old DVD from the mounting bracket and remove it. Check the jumpers to see if they match the settings on the old DVD and the new one-Master-Slave or whatever, then install the new player and plug in the cabling. Then power up and install software if needed-some are plug and play and you should be set!

The prices are so cheap on burners now you may as well get one of those rather than just a ROM reader.

:) Yo Antone:

THANKS MAN.

I've got a couple of Computerized buddies that I didn't remember when I wrote my post on BBS.

However, I feel I could replace the unit without using a hammer. ;)

Yea, verily, I will be getting a DVD/CDR/ROM unit, as that is what came with my Gateway--it checkes out on the PC troubleshoot as "being all right." But, it won't record and WON'T read any booster ROMS I insert. So, something has to be wrong somewhere, someplace, and at THIS TIME. I have a feeling that the Jukebox program I had on my HD screwed up my system. Jukebox never answered any of the 3 E-mails I sent so I deleted them-love that feeling of power! :cool:

Have a great Thanksgiving and thanks again.

Green Hornet :D

It's VERY simple. All you need is a screwdriver.

You might want to try reinstalling the drivers before you give up on the old drive.

:D Hey Tex:

Thanks. I had a friend over who checked out my drive and downloaded its driver from the company. It still would not work.

So, I have a new unit on the way. I'll let my friend install it and I'll watch and learn. I researched the "how to install" on the net and it looks rather simple.

Thanks for the help.

Probably 99% of all DVD/CD Drives as well as Hard drives are all Plug & Play so you will rarely need any other drivers as they come with XP.....

There is pretty much no way you can screw up installing a drive, You just check the Jumper to make sure that the Unit is set to the proper Master/Slave, Or Cable select setting and slide it into it"s bay and screw it in and plug in the IDE/SATA Cable and the 12v Molex connector and you are ready to rock....

If the device loads Fine and your device manager says that it is installed and working but it still won"t read or write disks then it is most likely a problem with the drive as opposed to being installed incorrectly or a driver problem.....

Good luck

:D Yo Minion:

Thanks for the confidence boost. I'm pretty sure I could do the installation of the new Plextor when it arrives. However, I'll let my friend do it. I've done a bunch of CDs of his wife singing at my studio so I'll take the payback as he has more experience. But, I'll be watching everything he does in case I have to do the next one.

I first became aware of the problem with my original LITE-ON burner when I could not read ANY ROMs. I got a new monitor and it came with a CD-ROM that is supposed to enhance the power of the screen--in other words, an additional driver. Since I couldn't read the ROM, I'm just using the monitor as is and it looks fine. One of the items on the ROM was a file of instructions for tweaking. Not that important as the tweak buttons on the monitor are functional.

So, if a few days I should have a burner that will read ROMS and burn CDs.

Merry Christmas

Back