Need some Information on recordings.

WPBEATS

My Names Wes im from chicago, Ive been making Music for about a yr now. ive just started to make my own beats recently also(hip hop Music)
I got a question , I wanna record all my vocals from home from my labtop.
I have 2 g of ram 128mb intel 2 dual core processor.
I use reason to make my beats and cubase to record vocals and mix them.I also us a us-144 Tascam Soudn card. My questions is What exactly do i need to purchase in order to do decent vocals from my room. Of course i need a mic (condensor) cables, mic stand etc. Can you fellas recommend me a mixer to use its doesnt need alot of channels as im only using a Mic and my plan is to soon get some Monitors. will i also be able to monitor my recordings from the headphones i currently use? any info is greatly appreciated.
thanks
Wes

So basically you just need to record vocals into your computer, right? The Tascam has XLR inputs w/ Phantom Power so all you need is what you suggested: a Mic, an XLR cable, and a stand! As for which mic, you're most likely gonna want a Large Diaphragm Condenser (LDC) microphone. There are literally hundreds out there, but there are a lot of good threads in these forums regarding which ones are best bang for the buck, or all-out best.

Personally, I've got a Shure KSM27. It's not the best out there, but for it's price (~$300) it'll get you way past the "Best Buy Mic" sound :p

*Edit: As for a mixer, you don't really need one for what you're doing. If you want to be able to split the signal coming out of your computer into a headphone and monitor mix, basically any mixer out there will do!

awesome
i basicalyy just wanna record vocals and hear them back threw my headphones
also , will i be able to hear the beat threw the headphones while layin my vocals down????

Why a condenser mic? The majority of the hip hop vocals we've cut at our studio have been done with a Shure SM-7b and have come out great... far better than they could have ever come out with a cheap condenser mic.

As for the rest of the chain... if you have a USB input on your laptop then an Apogee "Mini-ME" with a USB output will have mic pre's and some compression and great sounding conversion... it should cover all the bases you need covered.

Peace.

Fletcher said:
Why a condenser mic? The majority of the hip hop vocals we've cut at our studio have been done with a Shure SM-7b and have come out great... far better than they could have ever come out with a cheap condenser mic.
Fair enough, I don't have a heck of a lot of experience but I know I like my LDC for rock/metal vocals!

Fletcher said:
As for the rest of the chain... if you have a USB input on your laptop then an Apogee "Mini-ME" with a USB output will have mic pre's and some compression and great sounding conversion... it should cover all the bases you need covered.

Peace.

He's got a Tascam US-144 and Cubase for compression. Why would he need another interface?

steve.h said:
He's got a Tascam US-144 and Cubase for compression. Why would he need another interface?
Because Fletch is used to dealing with Big House budgets, and thinks everybody can afford $800 for a 2-channel pre/interface ;) :D

But that said, the Mini-Me is worth ever dollar - if you can afford it; it'll blow the Tascam out of the water with one shot.

G.

Back