Need some help with soundfonts.

sonicpaint

I've never been a fan of midi in recording though the last couple of weeks I've been fooling around with soundfonts with a Soundblaster Live card. Mostly due to finding a easier way of programming and sequencing drums.

I downloaded a few "banks" (I guess their called) along with Vienna to edit them. I was wondering if there was a way that I could take samples from one bank or group of sounds and add them to another or create a new bank using only the samples that I like from the "banks" that I've downloaded?

If this is a newbie question then I apologize but in this regard I am a newbie.....:D

Thanks in advanced.
sonicpaint

Well, off course there is a way to do that. But believe me, it's more complicated than you thought (unless you love sound programming kind of job :D ). I've been there and end up fingding I spent my time more to do the programming than actualy making music. I think it's easier (and save alot of your valuable time) to load them as they are, and select sound you wanted using your sequencer. All you need is big fast RAM... :)

But if you wanna try, then you can follow these links to get more info and tutorial about how to do it...

http://www.computermusic.co.uk/tutorial/soundfont/soundfont.asp

http://www.computermusic.co.uk/tutorial/soundfont/1.asp

and you don't wanna miss this...

http://www.ethanwiner.com/SonarSF2.html

Hope it helps,
;)
Jaymz

I figured it out last night!

Thanks for all the responses! After I posted the question last night I started looking through the help files of Vienna (the soundfont editor for SoundBlaster cards) and found out it's not that difficult at all and it doesn't take that long either. I don't know about other soundfont editors but Vienna works as follows.

Let say you have 2 or more Banks that you like some of the sounds in but you like to put the best ones together from these different Banks. One Bank at a time you'd open the the Banks. When the Bank is open you'd right click on "User Pool" and select "export user samples", highlight the samples you'd like to export and click export. I recommend exporting all the samples from the different Banks to the same folder, making things easier to import for the new Bank you'll create later.

Once you have exported all the samples from the 2 or more Banks into the same folder, the rest is easy. In Vienna create a new sample bank, import the new files from the folder and save the new Bank.

That's it! I know you can add effects and really get down to picking apart samples but that is the bulk of getting sounds you like from different Banks together in one.

Hope this helps cut down some time for those who are new to the soundfont thing too.

Again thanks for your help guys, I appreciate it.

Later,
sonicpaint

Thanks for the link!

Thanks for the link stethedrumgeek, I've read a few articles on this topic but you could never read too much. I think I'll create some of my own sound fonts some time soon.

sonicpaint

Back