Need some help with my preamp

fivestarpacheco

hey guys,
Im having a little trouble with my preamp and interface settings. i have a eureka pre amp, a scarlett 6i6 , and a at4040 for a mic.
it sounds good its clear, but im looking for the sound to be a little crispier if you know what i mean heres a sound sample of my setup complete raw vocal going using 48v on preamp
and here are pictures of my setup. im thinking its the settings on the pre, but not sure i tried messing with it, but thats the best i could get it. took several pictures so you can seee the knobs up close

and heres the gain setting on my interface

Last edited:
Yup. It looks like you're running mic-preamp-preamp which is not right.
It'd be better to take the presonus line output into a focusrite line input (1/4" jack).

Also, do not turn on phantom power on your interface while it's setup as the pictures show. That's likely to damage the presonus unit.

Yup. It looks like you're running mic-preamp-preamp which is not right.
It'd be better to take the presonus line output into a focusrite line input (1/4" jack).

Also, do not turn on phantom power on your interface while it's setup as the pictures show. That's likely to damage the presonus unit.

sorry im trying to understand what you mean. so your saying to get a wire that on one end has 1/4 jack so i shouldnt be using a mic wire then right?
when should i keep the 48v on only when im tracking? heres a pic of the back
ibexeh.jpg

sorry im trying to understand what you mean. so your saying to get a wire that on one end has 1/4 jack so i shouldnt be using a mic wire then right?
when should i keep the 48v on only when im tracking? heres a pic of the back
ibexeh.jpg

Yeah, that's it.
The focusrite interface has combo inputs on the front for microphones or instruments.
The line inputs (which you want) are round the back, although I see they're currently in use.

The presonus has a TRS line output, as well as the XLR, so the easiest thing would be to get a TRS to TRS patch cable and use that. :)

PS: Connector type doesn't tell you what kind of signal is being carried. ;)

Yeah, that's it.
The focusrite interface has combo inputs on the front for microphones or instruments.
The line inputs (which you want) are round the back, although I see they're currently in use.

The presonus has a TRS line output, as well as the XLR, so the easiest thing would be to get a TRS to TRS patch cable and use that. :)

PS: Connector type doesn't tell you what kind of signal is being carried. ;)

Thanks man! so do you think that the way i had it hooked up can really effect the sound? i dont have a trs cable but i do have an xlr can i use the xlr cable and it will work the same as the trs?

Thanks man! so do you think that the way i had it hooked up can really effect the sound?

Definitely. A preamp takes a very low level signal and amplifies it.
Putting that signal through another preamp is no good, although I'm sure some idiot here will have an anecdote to the contrary.

I dont have a trs cable but i do have an xlr can i use the xlr cable and it will work the same as the trs?

No.
The XLR inputs on your interface expect a microphone-level signal.
The TRS inputs around the back expect a line-level signal.
Your presonus outputs a line-level signal.

Whether you choose the XLR or TRS output from your presonus is immaterial, but you must run it to one of the TRS inputs on the back of the focusrite.

That means you need a TRS-male to TRS-male cable, or an XRL-female to TRS-male cable.
Hope that helps.

Yeah, what Steen said--while you're at it, read up on "gain-staging" --it's a really important concept that will seem daunting at first, but you need to know how it works. You made a common mistake by hooking up the two pres and then fiddling with their respective input and output gain controls--in addition to throwing in a compressor . . . .

Definitely. A preamp takes a very low level signal and amplifies it.
Putting that signal through another preamp is no good, although I'm sure some idiot here will have an anecdote to the contrary.

No.
The XLR inputs on your interface expect a microphone-level signal.
The TRS inputs around the back expect a line-level signal.
Your presonus outputs a line-level signal.

Whether you choose the XLR or TRS output from your presonus is immaterial, but you must run it to one of the TRS inputs on the back of the focusrite.

That means you need a TRS-male to TRS-male cable, or an XRL-female to TRS-male cable.
Hope that helps.

Thanks man i really appreciate it sounds wayyyy better. Heres how i hooked it up let me know if its right. and only put 48v when recording right?
dbiqrp.jpg

2ahwuf.jpg

?--48v is for condenser mics, like the one you're using. You engage 48v when you are recording with the mic, or whenever you are using that mic. If you are rehearsing vocals, or using it at all, engage the 48v. That's what you always must do.

Back