Need some help with my pc recording choices

Creepy Groovy

Hey Guys

I have a list of stuff put together, just looking for some input/suggestions. I'm setting up my pc for recording guitar tracks, and I want to build most the backing stuff in software. I don't want to be limited, and I want to put together the best I can on my budget. What I'm mostly asking is if there are any problems anyone has seen with the MAudio products and Cakewalk Sonar software.

My budget $1100

PC specs: AMD Athlon XP 1800+, 500 RAM, 40gig hard drive

Looking to buy:
1)MAudiophile 2496 card
2)MAudio AudioBuddy
3) Shure SM57LC, for recording guitar tracks
4) Sonar 3.0 Producer Edition

Total comes to $769.80 from Zzounds.com. That leaves me roughly $300 to play with and add to my list. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I've done as much research as I can on this stuff and this is what i have found to be the best to suit my needs. I like to make sure I'm not missing anything before spending my money though.
Thanks
Stu

That sounds good. If you don't intend to record an entire band at the same time or mic a full drum kit, that would be perfect. SM57s are ideal for guitar record. Sonar is a great multitrack recording program.

Chris Fallen said:
I'm assuming you're upgrading to Sonar 3.0?

Not upgrading, I'm going to buy it. Zzounds.com has it for $449.95. Someone else told me it wouldn't be available until sometime in October, but they have it listed on their website available 9/29.

Creepy Groovy said:
Not upgrading, I'm going to buy it. Zzounds.com has it for $449.95. Someone else told me it wouldn't be available until sometime in October, but they have it listed on their website available 9/29.

i luv zz but shop around, you may do better elsewhere, the web is full of resellers, besides, there's no refund usually on software, just a thought...

Back