Need some help upgrading pick ups

Bill L

Massivdonian
I have an 80's Epiphone Firebird 300 which has one single coil on the neck and one humbucker the bridge (both EMG Select). They were made in Korea, and had a neck-through design (just like an old Firebird), and an ebanol fretboard (fake ebony).
Well, the existing pickups suck so I want to replace them without having to rout the body. Any suggestions for a classic Firebird tone? I've been leaning towards Lollars. Just asking for opinons. Thanks.

Bill L

-I have a pic but it wont let me upload it. I'll try again later.

GFS Pickups really rule. You can find them on guitarfetish.com
There are TONS of choices.
Good luck on your tone search.

GFS definitely sell some amazing pickups for extremely low dough. I'd look over their catalog for sure, and also think about routing the single coil spot for another humbucker. The 300 had the single coil/humbucker, while the 500 had the two humbuckers, so I know it can be done. Unless of course the diagonal rout is such that squaring it up is too big for a humbucker.

GFS definitely sell some amazing pickups for extremely low dough.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that theyre crazy affordable.
I guess it's good though... that means that their pickups sound so great their affordable price doesnt even matter.

Thanks for the input guys! I'm still wading through which pick ups will fit in the existing spots while attempting to maintain the tone I'm looking for. GFS will most likely be the way for me to go. Thanks again for all your help.

Bill L

I gotta give them a ringing endorsement too... i put an extra crunchy 16 paf and a 10k hot rail in my guitar and they are lovely and versatile and responsive to eqing :) like butta! pure butta

oh yeah, their customer service was pretty damn good, and speedy delivery, living on the other side of the continent i got my orders before the estimated arrival a couple times. at least it was a few years ago, i'ma get a few of their pedals soon

Well since your name is Bill L, how bout you pick up some Bill Lawrence pickups? :D

I was leaning towards the Lawrence pickups for one (or both) of my Strats. The GFS site has some nice mini humbuckers that look good and they come wired for coil taps. I'm seriously leaning towards the Little Crunchy Mini Humbuckers for the bridge. Now I have to find a coil tapped stacked dual coil that will fit in the single coil slot as I don't want to have to modify the body. I really liked the Lollar mini humbuckers but the price (at the moment) is bit steep for a guitar I paid $150 for at a pawn shop in the early 90's. But progress is being made! Thanks guys for all the suggestions!

been through (literally) hundreds of pickups...the gfs plain strat alnicos replaced the bottom line alnico s-d's i used to use when I coudn't find vintage dimarzio singles...so I give it up for the gfs singles. But always went with vintage dimarzios/orvilles/ibanez humbuckers...as they gave my favorite sound for a bucker. To complicate things futher, I had some rio grande, lollar and then a fralin p-90 set....but am competely satisfied with the mid-90's ibanez "ghostrider" p-90 set I bought on a whim....amazing, and now the secret is out.

If you want a cheap set of gfs dreambuckers....i got'em right here for ya...barely used. Better than that, see my selling list...have other great ones for sale as well, but no ibanez p-90's!

Back