Need some help! If you had $1500 to spend what combination would you get?

gospel25514

Hey, I am looking to spend about $1500 on some good pre's/interface and some speakers. I have a decent mic (Heil PR-30) but would like input on a couple more for a baritone style vocal. I would only be using the equipment for vocals only as all tracks are being done professionally. So let me have it! If your were buying something in that price range what would it be? Thanks in advance for your input.
Gospel

I would only be using the equipment for vocals only as all tracks are being done professionally.
By this, do you mean that all the instrumentation tracks, the mixing, and mastering will be done professionally, and this will be absolutely true until you're ready to buy more stuff? If so, then you might want to lean on the mic/pre side of the equation. If you plan to do your own mixing in a serious way, then my bitter experience is that you should be biased (like all of the $1500 and more if you can get it) on studio monitors and room treatment, and worry about the rest when you can hear what you're doing (that is, when you've got a good room and monitors) -- I suppose there's some middle ground, but if you have the luxury of defining your requirements, you'll have better long term results.

By this, do you mean that all the instrumentation tracks, the mixing, and mastering will be done professionally, and this will be absolutely true until you're ready to buy more stuff? If so, then you might want to lean on the mic/pre side of the equation. If you plan to do your own mixing in a serious way, then my bitter experience is that you should be biased (like all of the $1500 and more if you can get it) on studio monitors and room treatment, and worry about the rest when you can hear what you're doing (that is, when you've got a good room and monitors) -- I suppose there's some middle ground, but if you have the luxury of defining your requirements, you'll have better long term results.

Hey Antichef, thanks for the response and good advice. I will be doing the mixing. I am looking for some monitors that are true and not colored and some good clean mic pre's. Room will be treated and sound sealed. Monitors and pre's are my biggest concerns. Any suggestions?

I'm the wrong person to ask about monitors - you'll find plenty of good info on the board here, but I guess not in the Computer Recording forum (a wide open search for "monitors" looks like it returns some pretty good threads)

Back