Need some fresh ears

NL5

Unpossible!
This is a first round mix. Only problem is I have to have it and two others finished tomorrow and I'm running out of time. Any comments/critiques welcome.

Thanks!

Updated link - (12-27-09)

:D

Last edited:
Great mix! I think it is pretty darn good as it stands.

I am not a huge fan of the bass drum sound. There is a lot of "click" there which brings it to the front of the mix a bit too much IMO. That is how a lot of people like it though, especially in heavier music.

I don't know if you have any control over the song, but the bass part in the chorus has a note that seems out of key. It is the first note which repeats a few times. Maybe you/they wanted it that way?

The levels on everything seem very well done though! Good job.

Great mix! I think it is pretty darn good as it stands.

I am not a huge fan of the bass drum sound. There is a lot of "click" there which brings it to the front of the mix a bit too much IMO. That is how a lot of people like it though, especially in heavier music.

I don't know if you have any control over the song, but the bass part in the chorus has a note that seems out of key. It is the first note which repeats a few times. Maybe you/they wanted it that way?

The levels on everything seem very well done though! Good job.

Thanks!

LOL. I'm the bassist. I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. I don't know squat about music theory, but play with two guys who are pretty well versed. We've discussed that note many times, and came to the conclusion that it was OK. I'd be curious to hear what other people think though, because at various times each one of us thought it sounded off, but at other times not. I dunno. :)

Thanks!

LOL. I'm the bassist. I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. I don't know squat about music theory, but play with two guys who are pretty well versed. We've discussed that note many times, and came to the conclusion that it was OK. I'd be curious to hear what other people think though, because at various times each one of us thought it sounded off, but at other times not. I dunno. :)

That is very funny! In my opinion it is very hard to determine intonation at low frequencies. All I could tell is that it sounded a little dissonant. That of course could be the tuning being a tiny bit off or the wrong note OR my ears;). It almost sounded to me like the note was a 1/2 step sharp. Its hard to tell with such low notes though. If you are drop tuning (which it sounds) that could be the culprit??? Just an idea.

I liked the mix though! I'd greatly appreciate if you could take a quick listen to my song in the MP3 mixing clinic. You obviously have good ears and mixing skills.

Cool song. I would add some delay to the vocals wet them up a bit. The ride is a bit too shrill for my taste. I like the piano alot.:)

the snare in the beginning of the song sounds sick... just plain sick.

not only the sound but the marching band pattern as well.

the vocals are too dry? too plain? i don't know how to describe it but they need some sort of effect so they blend in with the rest of the song. that's the only thing i'd suggest.

good work though.

;) Sounds like you need to play the same notes as the piano chords.:confused:

Love that overall sound on the bass.:cool:

Last edited:
Re the bass note - it adds a little tension - which is a good thing.
I agree that the bass drum is too death metal clicky for the song (but then again I don't really like that sound anyway).
Good song.

Thanks to all that listened and commented!

I added the echo I was using on the guitar swells to the vox. Made a few more tweaks. Un-muted the main guitar that was accidentally muted (ooops).

Let me know what ya'll think.

Thanks again!

Oh yeah, and the bass isn't de-tuned - it's a 5 string tuned to the standard B.

One thing, when the ride comes in it's kind of overbearing for two reasons, 1. it its a bit too loud IMO, and 2. the note quickly detunes post-attack. I think you don't have to worry about the latter if you just drop the volume of the ride a bit, somehow.

Kerrio

Not bad. I don't like the bass sound for this song. It seems overly scooped or something. Too much attack in the quiet sections, too much low end power. It rumbles all over everything. The weird note certainly doesn't help. The kick is way over processed. There rest is okay. I like the marching snare sound. Vocals seem fine to me. There's a few timing problems in there too. Overall, not terrible, but it could be better.

Not bad. I don't like the bass sound for this song. It seems overly scooped or something. Too much attack in the quiet sections, too much low end power. It rumbles all over everything. The weird note certainly doesn't help. The kick is way over processed. There rest is okay. I like the marching snare sound. Vocals seem fine to me. There's a few timing problems in there too. Overall, not terrible, but it could be better.

Thanks Greg.

Yeah, the last version I posted, I changed the bass eq. I'm going to change it back. The Kick has very little processing done to it, so I'm not sure I follow that comment. Me and the drummer LOVE the kick sound.

I think the vocals are too effected, so I'll probably back it off a hair, but we'll see.

Thanks again!

One thing, when the ride comes in it's kind of overbearing for two reasons, 1. it its a bit too loud IMO, and 2. the note quickly detunes post-attack. I think you don't have to worry about the latter if you just drop the volume of the ride a bit, somehow.

Kerrio

Yeah, the ride mic track is pulled all the way down, and going pre-fader to a plate. i think that is what's causing all the wierdness. The other songs for the EP don't have that setup, and the ride sounds fantastic. Was trying to make it sound even better, but it didn't work so well......

Sounds good except for the cymbals - they almost sound as if they're being played in reverse. It could be conversion compression or not.
It's only issue - but significant.

Sounds good except for the cymbals - they almost sound as if they're being played in reverse. It could be conversion compression or not.
It's only issue - but significant.

That is weird...those cymbals do sound like their envelopes are reversed...almost like they were processed through the same reverse verb effect the vocals are.:confused: The rest of the mix really gelled with the second mix....very, very well done. BTW, that bass note sounds like an "C" played over the Eb minor chord in the opening measure of the chorus. It kinda works cause the third chord change is a c minor. Odd, can't say that I really dislike it, but it does pull at the ear.:) There is some pitchiness to one of the rythm guitars starting at about 2:50 and the snare almost completely dissappears during this section as well. It seems to suck a little life outta the mix when it leaves. Very cool tune. Love the arrangement and the instrumentation. It's a tough mix because it is so sonically dense.
The string and snare ending was superb.:cool:

That is weird...those cymbals do sound like their envelopes are reversed...almost like they were processed through the same reverse verb effect the vocals are.:confused: The rest of the mix really gelled with the second mix....very, very well done. BTW, that bass note sounds like an "C" played over the Eb minor chord in the opening measure of the chorus. It kinda works cause the third chord change is a c minor. Odd, can't say that I really dislike it, but it does pull at the ear.:) There is some pitchiness to one of the rythm guitars starting at about 2:50 and the snare almost completely dissappears during this section as well. It seems to suck a little life outta the mix when it leaves. Very cool tune. Love the arrangement and the instrumentation. It's a tough mix because it is so sonically dense.
The string and snare ending was superb.:cool:

LOL. Yep, it's a C over an Eb. I think I pull-off to a B, and then hammer on the C and slide to Eb. It sounds odd to me at times, but other times I kind of like it. I dunno, maybe I should learn how to play the bass. :D

The only thing I changed on the cymbals was a slight bump to the "squish" track. I'll bring that back down.

Thanks for listening!

Cool song. Almost too wet for me.

When he says "you keep pushing me", the midrangey guitar sounds a little out of tune to me.. Great kick sound but I think it is a little slappy for the slower rock song. But if you love the sound, who's stopping ya.:)

As usual, good work :)

Back