Need some ears,.

The acoustic guitar is really, really bright. It sounds like somebody is flicking one of those door stoppers that going "boiiiiiiiiiing" in my ear. I assume that this is also due to the hot recording.
It's too loud in comparison to the vocal. The vocal is nice and airey without being lispy.
Is the guitar by any chance panned slightly to the right?

as schwarzenyaeger said, that guitar....it's incredibly bright. I mixed this track also and found that even with the raw track it needed a slight roll off in the high end, it really does sound bad on my studio monitors.

Thanks guys! I went back and referenced btyres mix,. seems we have a very different approach.

I prefer the overall presence in my mix and I think my bottom end makes sense for for the provided instrumentation. When mixing, the sound stage I tried to create was a small stage,. cafe/100 seat room. I did several weird things with the guitar to give it a little more body and percussiveyness,. and there is definalty some panning going on,.

I think you both are pointing out the range right about where you get string noise, does that sound right?
How do you get it warmer without losing the presence?
I'll try playing around with the guitar some more and repost. Tips are welcome!

Last edited:
Honestly re-recording the guitar would be the way. Acoustic guitars don't take well to EQ fuckery if you ask me. If you recorded it super bright, then it's going to remain that way unless you crush the top end.

The warmth is probably going to be around the low mids and the presence is around the high mids to the highs.

Thanks guys! I went back and referenced btyres mix,. seems we have a very different approach.

I prefer the overall presence in my mix and I think my bottom end makes sense for for the provided instrumentation. When mixing, the sound stage I tried to create was a small stage,. cafe/100 seat room. I did several weird things with the guitar to give it a little more body and percussiveyness,. and there is definalty some panning going on,.

I think you both are pointing out the range right about where you get string noise, does that sound right?
How do you get it warmer without losing the presence?
I'll try playing around with the guitar some more and repost. Tips are welcome!

:facepalm:

Yikes. That guitar. What happened?

I mixed that song too, and while it wasn't recorded great (especially the palm rubbing against string noise), it was still possible to produce a fine warm, tonally balanced sound. Sounds like you high pass filtered the guitar up to 500hz or something. I don't know. Can't even comment on the vocals because the guitar is too distracting.

Back