Need some advice...

BoneDigger

I'm going to ask this here, although the initial question was raised on the Noobe forum.

Presently I am recording using a Zoom H4N then transfering the files to Reaper manually. The recommendation was made to record directly to Reaper and cut out the H4N altogether. Someone mentioned a Steinberg UR-22 or similar.

First off, my laptop is a standard Asus laptop and it doesn't have any upgraded components, just a standard sound card and i5 processor. It does, of course, have USB. Now, would the Steinberg be ALL I would need, or would I need something else? And, will this net better results than running external mics through the H4N? I could easily sell the H4N and buy something like the Steinberg.

I'm not looking for semi-professional results, just good clean acoustic guitar and vocals to give to friends and family.

Todd

A usb audio interface like you mention will totally bypass/replace the onboard sound card.
The soundcard becomes 100% irrelevant. It will have zero impact on your audio quality.

A USB interface is all you need to replace the zoom.

Hope that helps. :)

Would it generally lead to better quality recording to go straight to the Daw through a USB interface like mentioned above?

Todd

That would depend upon whether the quality of the preamps / converters in either device was significantly better than the other - they're probably not really a factor.

I think the point was that it might make the process easier, rather than result necessarily in better quality - and there are benefits to making the process easier / less frustrating that can flow through to the final product.

If I were you I would start using what you've got and get some recording happening and learn from there. The biggest effect on quality you're going to get is learning how to actually record various things in the first place - microphone placement, room issues and the like - I'm assuming you're a noob in this endeavour and take it from there.

A lot depends upon budget etc. as well. I personally wouldn't use a Zoom mini recorder like that to track on that's not to say it can't be done... and if you have only $X to spend on this thing at the moment, perhaps once we hear some outputs of what you're doing, we can best advise on how to spend your cash for the biggest bang regarding quality.

I never got the H4n to work as an audio interface. I tried for hours, and nobody, even on Zoom, were able to help me.

I never got the H4n to work as an audio interface. I tried for hours, and nobody, even on Zoom, were able to help me.
That surprises me. I've never tried it myself, but usually it's a driver issue. Also, from my experience, the cheaper interfaces break really easily - as in, they work great and then all of a sudden stop working and it's time to buy a new one. So if you're going to go that route, get a higher-end one.

That surprises me. I've never tried it myself, but usually it's a driver issue. Also, from my experience, the cheaper interfaces break really easily - as in, they work great and then all of a sudden stop working and it's time to buy a new one. So if you're going to go that route, get a higher-end one.

Yeah I tried so many things. I flashed the bios on the Zoom and reinstalled the firmware even....nothing. My comp doesn't even recognize it as an interface...only as an SD card when I offload data.

Since I live away from my studio, I debated just getting a small 2x2 USB interface so I can record demos at my apartment, and I was hoping the Zoom could double as that.

I was able to connect my H4N today as an audio interface and record directly to Reaper. No problems with it identifying the unit. Didn't even have to download new drivers. I'll try this for a while and see what results I can get out of it.

Todd

I was able to connect my H4N today as an audio interface and record directly to Reaper. No problems with it identifying the unit. Didn't even have to download new drivers. I'll try this for a while and see what results I can get out of it.

Todd
Sweet! :D

Back