Need some advice regarding Omni Studio and 1010

Hugh Jazz

Here's my situation: I'm looking to get either the Delta Omni Studio package or a Delta 1010 card. I'm mainly going to be recording guitar, bass, vocals, and tablas (I still need to get mics). I know for a fact that I don't need all the I/O's of the Delta in my room, but they can't hurt because eventually I will probably record my band with it. My main concern is that the 1010 doesn't have any pre's, whereas the omni studio does. I'm new to recording, so according to my limited knowledge, this may pose a problem when recording anything that is mic'ed. (Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.) For my first mic, I will probably get an SM 57, and if needed, I may get the Behringer ECM 8000 for "room" mic. I don't know if I'll need a preamp for these, but I am almost positive I will need one for my vocalist's Shure beta 58a. (Again, correct me if I'm wrong)

Now here's my question: which card should I go for? Since I am planning on getting them used, the price difference is not too significant. I am leaning towards the 1010 because I won't need to upgrade in the future to get more tracks, and it supposedly is just a better card. If I do go for the 1010, what preamp would you guys recommend. I would like to hear from everybody, but moreso from the owners of the Delta 1010 card.

Thank you in advance, and I appreciate your help.

H.J.

Back