Need some advice please!!

sagar4848

Hi,

I'm building a studio in my basement. H: 6ft, L: 15ft, W: 9ft
i know its not the best but its the best i have.

I don't need any soundproofing. Im in an isolated area where no sound will be coming in nor will it matter if it goes out. The room is only going to be used for mixing and producing. No recording. Of any sort. What i need is an acoustically balanced room. What i plan to do is make wooden frames on all 4 sides. Like a cage. I need help further..

Please advice on which way to go:

1. Single stud wooden frame. Put drywall on the outside. Stuff 6inch rock wool. Cover with breathable fabric on the inside of the studio.
2. Double stud wooden frame. MLV on the outside. Stuff all the frame with rock wool (is a partition required? if so with what?). Drywall on the inside. Make and hang more panels inside the studio though taking up more space.

If either of these are wrong please suggest something in that way? ^^ But keep in mind i don't require isolation, only room treatment.
& Yes i know in the first way, the room will be too dead. Though i plan on putting a few diffusors at the back to keep it reflective. And since anyways its an extremely compact room i guess it would be fine. which i will have to learn to compensate for.

Thank you

First, I'm glad to see someone who understands the difference between soundproofing and acoustic treatment! :D

Too dead can be a problem, but not necessarily. It's neither wrong, nor right, just an option.

I'd go with the second option, but you don't need to cover the whole of every surface. Set up against a 9' wall. Bass traps in all four corners. Hang your 6" on the back wall with diffusers between. Hang some diffusers and 6" directly in front of you. Then find your primary reflections. (See JH Brandt's site from small room acoustics post) Hang more 6" (since that's what you have) at those points. Figure out your listening position (39% rule) and center a cloud above your head. Mirror on the opposite side (39% from the back wall). If you have a good reflective floor, this will be plenty of treatment. You can always roll out a rug to deaden when needed. If not, invest in some floor tile or hardwood flooring...

Take a look at Relocation of Diesel Studios post to see how it was done.

Wow, 6' ceiling, Hopefully Stanley Clark won't be coming by...

As your room is fairly small, I'd advise against double stud walls, as that'll only make it smaller. I'd also advise that you don't need to rockwool/fabric cover all the walls - unneeded expense. Finish the walls with sheetrock, use standard pink stuff in the cavities. Then traps in all corners, and at first reflection points on side walls and on the back and front walls. That 6' ceiling is a real issue - you've got no room for a ceiling cloud unless the rafters are exposed and you can then stuff rockwool between them over your listening position.
The use of diffusor panels in small rooms is debatable.
Read through this thread started by John Brandt on small room acoustics.

Hi

@broken_h i have the option of selecting either 2 inch, 4 inch or 6 inch of rock wool. So 6" is no compulsion. Should i have different thickness' for different places? I was going to go with 6" since i believe it would absorb the most.

@mjb What do you mean by standard pink stuff?

4" is usually good for everything but corners. If you can superchunk your corners, you'll be happier, if not, at least 6". Four inch on the walls and ceiling is plenty. I've got 2" on my ceiling, but with 3" spacing above, it works. :D Use 703 for walls/ceilings and some say 705 for corners. Not sure it makes a dif, but I used 705 cause it was recommended (denser)...

I'd say 6" would be absolutely my choice if given the option, on the sidewalls. It makes a big difference around 100-150 Hz, which is quite an important range.

I'm sure Alexander means 6" thick traps, not 6" in the walls?

'Standard pink stuff' - regular fiberglass insulation (not sound insulation).

Yeah i intend to make 6" thick traps only.

Oh i dint know that fiberglass has different types. Any ways i can't get my hands on any fiberglass. Only rock wool. Does rock wool too have different types? Cause I'm just contacting a local rock wool dealer and going to make panels out of that.

Yes, there are different densities of rockwool. The 3" Roxul is good doubled up to 6". I used the 3" stuff to make ceiling cloud panels, and cut it into triangles for corner traps.

MJB: Are you saying you use the 6" panels for everything? I am making 4 bass traps that fold out to make a booth or gobos ala GIK. VersiFusor-Screen-Panels-in-Apes-on-Tape-Studio.jpg They will be 6" when folded.
Not sure what thickness to use for my cloud and wall panels when I make them.

I think Mike may have confused what we were all referring to, he's talking about insulation inside the walls (which standard building insulation would be fine for that, no need to get expensive stuff). For the traps, rock wool will be good.

I think Mike may have confused what we were all referring to, he's talking about insulation inside the walls (which standard building insulation would be fine for that, no need to get expensive stuff). For the traps, rock wool will be good.

Nope, the OP's original comments. he asked about putting rockwool in the walls. 4" should be minimum thickness of bass traps (6" is better of course) for corners.

Hey guys,

one more query, i currently have a plain cement flooring, would it be better or worse to have vinyl flooring? Since the cement doesn't look too great..

Back