Need some advice for basic set-up for my Edirol FA-66 with Cubase 5, please

Isivaa Sanaru

Hey Everyone,

Really great for me to find a forum like this, it's just what I need since I'm in BIG trouble.

I've bought an FA-66 and everything has installed flawlessly.
Installed my Cubase 5, no problems there either.
Installed my Guitar Rig 5 and the installation was finished without any difficulties.

But then I changed from my Computer's main sound to my new sound card (FA-66), and no sound is coming out at all. I play something on YouTube and there is no sound, I start/restart the Computer and there's no sound. Using headphones connected to the FA-66.

I plugged in my guitar and I can hear the clean sound of my guitar in my Right side headphone, plugged it in to INPUT 2 as instructed.

When I turn on Guitar Rig, there's no reaction. I get buzzings and noise from Guitar Rig's different amps and sounds, but there's no sound when I play on my guitar.

I opened Cubase, made some MIDI drums with EZDrummer and they play perfectly in my headphones (still connected to the FA-66.)

When I record guitar, just to try, I get nothing but the small clean sound I can hear from the FA-66.

I've tried turning on everything and pushing all bottoms over and over again, restarted the Computer a couple of times.

I would be GRATEFUL if someone could walk me through how to set-up FA-66 with Cubase 5.

I have changed the main Settings in Cubase:
VST Audio System is set to FA-66.

I have included a print-screen on some parameters that I don't really understand.

I hope the attachment works.

I'm really really in trouble here, I'd be SO grateful if someone could lend me a hand!

Thanks!

//Isivaa Sanaru

Attachments

• Cubase 5 Issue.jpg
    Cubase 5 Issue.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 226
Light up (turn on) the speaker icon on the channel. Also make sure you have right input connected to this channel.

channel strip.jpg

I think that is also correct. I can now get sound from Guitar Rig, but still nothing out of Cubase.

When I push record I can see the activity in both Stereo In and Out, MIDI drums play perfectly but even though I hear the sound from my guitar and I see that there is activity in Stereo In nothing gets recorded.

Cubase 5 Issue 2.jpg
This is how it looks when I record

Only R is showing activity, I guess that's because Edirol FA-66 has Input 1/L and Input 2/R and I'm using Input 2/R.

And another quick question:

Do I have to Open any software to be able to connect between Cubase and FA-66? Because when I had Line 6 Toneport I had to open Gearbox in order to be able to record...

I'm not really sure how that works with FA-66.

First of all, I see that you are trying to record a stereo track - guitar is a mono source. If you can't select mono inputs press F4 (Devices->VST connections) and under inputs tab set the inputs.

And no, you don't have to open any other software.

Thanks! So I should actually record guitar in mono? Would help me alot if you could explain this a little more, I'm really eager to learn! Are there other instruments (among bass, keyboard/piano, vocals) that I should record as Mono as well?

I would record stereo file only when recording synths (worth mentioning that not all are stereo), everything else goes on mono tracks.

(Using virtual instruments, like EZ drummer is another thing - this is not recording.)

Back